lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-15-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
wethingtonm
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Very slowing going up hills at the golf course.

I have a 2001 Ezgo series cart. I use it for playing golf. It currently is stock everything and the batteries are fine too. It runs fine on level ground, maybe a little slower than some.

But my problem is going up hills or any incline, it is very slow.

I was thinking of getting a new motor and keeping the same speed controller, would this do the trick?

I'm not looking to be the fastest cart out there but maybe a little faster than stock and be able to go up a hill faster than a slow walk.
wethingtonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-15-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Very slowing going up hills at the golf course.

Welcome to BGW ! The series carts never were fast. They are slow and steady and very durable. As they age everything becomes less effective leading to sub par performance. Upgrading one component is not really going to solve the problem. Improving the motor or controller is going to expose the weakness of the next component in the chain of electrical parts that deliver the power to the wheels.
My suggestion would be to upgrade the Cables and F&R switch. That is the amperage delivery system from battery pack to the motor.
Next is the Controller and Solenoid. They work as the valve which regulates how much amperage can flow to the motor. And lastly I would upgrade or rewind the motor.
A simple voltage upgrade is also an option if you still want more power. You can do this at the controller/ solenoid stage, But it will require you add 2 batteries or replace yours with 6/8volt and have a way to charge 48v. Hope this helps.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
wethingtonm
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks. I think I will try new cables and F&R switch.

For the Cables, 4g?

And for the F&R, would I need the whole assembly or just the switch cam?
Old 02-15-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Yes, 4g welding cable with a 400+ strand count. If the F/R board and contacts are in good shape, a new HD cam will make it a HD assembly.

Dirty:

Cleaned and OK:
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:23 PM   #5
wethingtonm
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

When I buy the cables and f/r switch does most companies provide instructions on how to install? Or is it pretty much unscrew the old part/cable and put the new part/cable in it's place? Thanks.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #6
Gale Hawkins
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

On the cables just R/R one at a time. On the switch just draw out the connections and label before you start. I alway prefer to disconnect the battery while any work like this is in progress and do not pass metal tools over the battery bank or you may remove some battery posts.

Do not remove the old switch until you have the new switch in hand so there is no memory lag over a few days. :)

Most old parts in hand will help you see how the connections are make to the new part.
Gale Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:45 PM   #7
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wethingtonm View Post
When I buy the cables and f/r switch does most companies provide instructions on how to install? Or is it pretty much unscrew the old part/cable and put the new part/cable in it's place? Thanks.
Do the cables one at a time and you can't go wrong. I can't speak for other companies, but the insructions that come with the HD Switch Cam from scottyb's Carts Unlimited are top notch.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

My Cable sets come completely numbered with a diagram showing where each # goes on the cart. It is almost fool proof
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:07 PM   #9
wethingtonm
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So I changed out the f&R switch with a HD switch and change to 4 g cables. It helped a little but not much. Earlier in the thread I said the batteries were good but I ended up doing a hyometer test, it was done about 12 hrs after a full charge and it was around 65 degrees.

Battery 1: 1275,1275,1275
#2: 1270,1265,1260
#3: 1265, 1265, 1260
#4: 1265,1265,1265
#5: 1265,1265, 1260
#6: 1275, 1275, 1250

Does batteries 2 & 6 need to be replaced?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO