lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-06-2011, 09:17 PM   #1
firemedic898
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Is this battery ruined or can I still salvage it?

Ok, I recently ran into some financial problems and haven’t been able to do as much as I’ve wanted too on my cart. I wanted to do something today so I was cleaning the terminals before I went ridding. I was putting the cables back on and dropped my wrench. It landed on the battery terminal and I guess hit something else then caught on fire. Sparks were flying everywhere so I grabbed a broom and knocked the wrench off. So…..this is what I’m left with. Is this too dangerous to try to fix????????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0081.jpg (110.9 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0082.jpg (127.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0086.jpg (109.3 KB, 61 views)
firemedic898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-06-2011, 09:29 PM   #2
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Is this battery ruined or can I still salvage it?

Check with a commercial battery supplier(Interstate,etc..) or Fork-Lift repair-shop,maybe they can repair it,other than that it looks like its' done.Good luck.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #3
dodgefather
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Man that sucks, maybe a little late but I wrap my wrench with electrical tape so that only the open end is not covered. That way if you do happen to drop it there should be no unwanted sparkage!
dodgefather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:45 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Use Stubby Wrenches ....... they don't reach both posts.

A battery distributor will be able to repair the case or replace the post or both if needed.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:06 PM   #5
firemedic898
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Cool thanks for the help guys . There is a batteries plus by the house I will check with tomorrow.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:05 PM   #6
firemedic898
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok guys, the batteries plus said they would not fix the damaged batteries because there was too much damage and the liability was too high. I remembered I have insurance on this cart…..might as well use it right?????

The insurance adjuster came out and said that two of the batteries were toast. But, they would only pay to replace 2 of the 6 batteries. I told them that this was not good for the other batteries and more importantly NOT SAFE!! The batteries I currently have are around 1.5 years old and should not be mixed with new ones. Of course the adjuster said that he has several golf carts and has never heard of this and does it all the time. I guess that makes him an expert!!!!!I tried to explain that when the charger charges the system, some batteries will be over charged. I’m worried about this because I keep my cart in the garage when charging and my wife and kids use it often as well. He said that if I can find written proof from an “expert” then he would consider matching all the batteries.

I have looked several places but I cannot find an official statement that advises against mixing batteries. Experts…..can you provide me with a website or source that clearly states this is not good and possibly dangerous. All I could find on the web was a lot of people just saying its not good. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:22 PM   #7
BLakeside
Gone Wild

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/batte...nal-repair.php
BLakeside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:39 PM   #8
wizardket
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

"In situations where multiple batteries are connected in series, parallel or series/parallel, replacement batteries should be the same size, type and manufacturer (if possible). Age and usage level should be the same as the companion batteries. Do not put a new battery in a pack which is more than 6 months old or has more than 75 cycles. Either replace with all new or use a good used battery. For long life batteries, such as the Surrette and Crown, you can have up to a one year age difference."

Ref: http://www.windsun.com They would be "Experts"

Battery Mini Factoids
wizardket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:50 PM   #9
firemedic898
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks big time wizard . That should suffice that sob adjuster. I’ve been paying this company for YEARS for ALL my insurance needs and the one time I need them……it has been the biggest hassle!!! I even pay more because they are supposed to have “great customer service”. Heck, the service couldn’t have been worse so I’m probably going with a cheaper company if they are all the same in the end.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:54 PM   #10
BigCountry79
Gone Wild

Yamaha

ive used batteries that looked worse than yours, ride it!!
BigCountry79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO