lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2014, 06:19 PM   #11
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: No forward/reverse

Joe, your switch is toast buddy. That bolt the red wire runs to should never be in the position that it's in. (in other words......in a F\R switch....sideways is never a good thing when it comes to the bolts.)

When you replace the switch (this isn't an if you replace...it's a when you replace) you really need to consider upgrading to a heavy duty switch. Don't mess with the factory light duty stuff. Also, make sure all of your wires (including the one's attached to the motor) have been cleaned and are tight.....but don't over tighten 'em.

My "ultimate" suggestion would be to upgrade to a ScottyB "Reversing Contactor". http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Reversing_Contactors.html I upgraded to one of these on my 48-V hunting cart and tossed my F\R PITA heavy duty switch into the landfill. These new Reversing Contactors are the best thing since sliced bread. Yes, more $$$$ but the switch can be operated by a three year old, and there is no more "smoking wires."

FWIW

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-20-2014, 01:27 AM   #12
Joe ezgo
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Dave. The switch was new, but I must have messed it up on the rough terrain of our ranch roads. It had always been used in a paved road area. That heavy duty or super duty switch you recommend looks different than the one I have. Is this an interchangeable component? Will it fit in the available space?
Thank you for your time.
Joe
Joe ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:30 AM   #13
Joe ezgo
Not Yet Wild

Thanks crash test dummy. FUBAR for sure. Expensive part unfortunately.
Appreciate your time.
Joe
Old 05-20-2014, 09:16 AM   #14
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

If you upgrade, get the whole switch. Assume the cam experienced the same heat the the part in the photo did. There are several things that can cause this, one cable being too loose, or the cam being too loose. Also, too much current (amperage) for the unit. Creeping or climbing up steep hills and/or carrying a heavy load will cause this.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:21 AM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The red wire going to the motor got really hot, tell us what other modifications are done to the cart? Factory tires?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:42 PM   #16
Joe ezgo
Not Yet Wild

A larger motor was installed, don't know the particulars. Just moved the cart to a ranch, steep hills and heavy loads.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:27 PM   #17
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe ezgo View Post
Thanks Dave. The switch was new, but I must have messed it up on the rough terrain of our ranch roads. It had always been used in a paved road area. That heavy duty or super duty switch you recommend looks different than the one I have. Is this an interchangeable component? Will it fit in the available space?
Thank you for your time.
Joe
Joe,

The super duty Reversing Contactor will fit into the same space that your current mechanical F\R switch is at. What you will do is remove the current F\R mechanical set up, and then replace it with the new Super Duty switch. Where your lever is now located is where a simple and easy push button forward and reverse button will be located. The wiring for the replacement is different, but not something that takes a rocket scientist to do. (And that's good because I'm no rocket scientist).

If you are zooming up and down some steep terrain I would suggest spending the $$$$ and upgrading to this switch. I did and haven't looked back. This Reversing Contactor replaces the "weak link" in the txt system....and I don't have any more...."hey..is that a burning wire I smell?" any more.

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:18 PM   #18
Joe ezgo
Not Yet Wild

Very helpful info. Thank you Dave. Appreciate your time, now onto the replacement task.
Joe
Old 05-20-2014, 05:26 PM   #19
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Joe, That's what I was afraid you might say.... unknown motor put in a different situation where the work load in heavier draws too much amperage for the new F&R to survive.... You probably have that motor mis-matched to the task at hand. Such a mismatch will produce these kinds of high temps because the amperage draw is over the normal tolerance. Can you please identify the motor for us? Make & model #?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:59 PM   #20
Joe ezgo
Not Yet Wild

Scotty,
Here are some pictures of the equipment under the hood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (189.1 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO