lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-11-2014, 08:24 AM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Onboard Battery Charger

Even if you discharged those 210AH batteries down to 50%, a 15A charger will still charge them in 12 hours or less.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-11-2014, 08:39 AM   #12
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Even if you discharged those 210AH batteries down to 50%, a 15A charger will still charge them in 12 hours or less.
I usually don't drive my cart long distances and it seems like the QE charger does them just a few hours.
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:41 AM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

In addition to depth of discharge, there are a ton of other factors that determine how long a "15A charger" will take to charge a 210AH battery pack.

If the output of the charger was a constant 15A (which it is not likely to be), it would take 7 hours to charge a 210AH pack discharged to 50%, but charging cart batteries is not 100% efficient, so that time needs to be increased by about 25%, or 8.75 Hours.

However, most battery chargers have tapered charging, or multistage charging, so the time will be longer.

I believe the max output of a QE is about 15A, so a 15A on-board charger that uses a similar charge profile, will recharge your battery pack in roughly the same length of time.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:39 PM   #14
Chad McCan
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
Quick Charge
quickcharge.com/on-board-chargers-standard.html

Best prices here:
batterychargerdepot.com/Quick%20Charge/standardonboard.htm

I believe these are the best on-board charger available for the money. I have had several from 36-72 volts. Buy the most amps you can afford for fastest charge times. They all have maintenance charge feature after it shuts off to keep batteries perfect during long times without use. That feature isn't available on the lithium profile.
I assume you went with the "programmable" option and not the "float" option?
Chad McCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:28 PM   #15
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad McCan View Post
I copied the following from the QC website reseller. Yes I bought the (OBxxxx) "programmable" chargers (set with dip switches under the cover), yes they do have "float" feature which is very nice.

OBAGM, OBET, OBAE (for deep cycle golf carts and portable equipment) models being replaced by OB programmable model.

OBE (float) for starting batteries still available on lower chart.

Float (OBE): Regulates the battery voltage at 2.3 volts per cell @ 70 degrees F. Temperature compensating. Best for starting batteries, and gel's. This charger provides a continuous preset voltage determined by the model you buy.

Gas & timed shut off (OBET): Timer trips at 2.3vpc, gassing threshold. Batteries are allowed to gas to a maximum of 2.55vpc before shut off. Best for deep cycle batteries. This charger provides a one time charge per plug in cycle. Plug, charge, then go.

Gas & float (OBAE): Timer trips at 2.3vpc, gassing threshold. Batteries are allowed to gas to a maximum of 2.55vpc before dropping into indefinite float of 2.26vpc. Best for deep cycle batteries uesd in golf carts and portable equipment like floor scrubbers and sissor lifts that may see long periods of inactivity. This charger provides a one time charge then a float charge.

AGM (OBAGM): Batteries bulk charge to 2.3vpc, and enter absorption cycle where voltage is allowed to climb to a maximum 2.45vpc before dropping into indefinite float of 2.26vpc. This charger provides a one time charge then float charge. For AGM batteries.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:02 PM   #16
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
In addition to depth of discharge, there are a ton of other factors that determine how long a "15A charger" will take to charge a 210AH battery pack.

If the output of the charger was a constant 15A (which it is not likely to be), it would take 7 hours to charge a 210AH pack discharged to 50%, but charging cart batteries is not 100% efficient, so that time needs to be increased by about 25%, or 8.75 Hours.

However, most battery chargers have tapered charging, or multistage charging, so the time will be longer.

I believe the max output of a QE is about 15A, so a 15A on-board charger that uses a similar charge profile, will recharge your battery pack in roughly the same length of time.
Thanks for the info Johnnie.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:13 PM   #17
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad McCan View Post
I am still in the thinking stage and haven't ordered anything yet. Why "programmable" vs. "float?" I have a Charles brand battery charging/maintenance system on my houseboat that has the charge, maintenance, float. It stays plugged in 24/7/364. My generator battery is isolated but my 2 engine batts and the larger "house" batt stay on the system. My cabin house batt is a 12v deep cycle size 27 or 29 from Walmart and is now 7 years old. I only have to add water to the batts once per year and it is not much.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO