lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-01-2014, 10:05 PM   #1
armoredmoonman
Not Yet Wild

Default 2004 EZ Go TXT Factory Light keeps blowing fuse

I just picked up a 2004 TXT with factory light system. It is equipped with PDS.

When I picked it up, I noticed that the headlights and brake lights were not working, however, turn signals and horn did.

I traced the wiring and found that the wire for brake lights and headlights had a glass fuse (10Amp 32V 3GP). So I went down to Autozone and picked up an AGP 10 Amp 250 V because they did not have the 32V available. Well I took it for a test drive with the headlights on and it blew again. It blew while I was coasting with my foot off the pedal. Any ideas? Perhaps the previous owner had the wrong fuse in it and I'm just repeating his mistake?
armoredmoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-01-2014, 10:20 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 2004 EZ Go TXT Factory Light keeps blowing fuse

I think the headlight bulbs draw around 9 amps for the pair. That doesnt leave much for the other accosseries. I would try a 15a. The wires in a factory light kit are big enough that they are not in danger if used with a 15a fuse.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:44 AM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Don't sweat the voltage. Amps are what count (for the most part) You ain't gonna get 250 volts on a buggy. My 55 watt headlights pulled nearly 10 amps.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:28 AM   #4
FF Titus
Gone Wild

I would check to see if something is grounding out or not connected properly. Are you hooked up directly to the batteries or to a DC-DC converter?

Silly question, but I'll ask it, are you sure they're hooked up to 12 volts?
FF Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:58 AM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

If I remember correctly the bulbs in the headlight bar are 37 watts each so just say 3 amps each. Thats 6 plus the tail lights which I think are 18 watts ?? .. 10 amp fuse is not enough. 15 is close but I would throw a 20 in there..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:49 AM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Concur. I often use 20 amp fuses, because a typical failure isn't borderline, it's catastrophic amp draw.
Old 09-06-2014, 01:46 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Concur. I often use 20 amp fuses, because a typical failure isn't borderline, it's catastrophic amp draw.
If all else fails, use a 1 1/4" piece of 1/4" OD copper tubing and follow the smoke to the source of the problem.

Seriously, when selecting a fuse size, I typically add up the amp draw, double it and then go to the next higher common size.

Something to remember about fuses is that they are fire protection devices.
They do not and cannot protect electrical devices from electrical failures, instead they attempt to prevent fires caused by electrical failures.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:35 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I learned that the hard way, when smoking something I only did in highschool caused to push-in cigarette lighter fuse to blow. Being desperate, I simply wrapped the fuse with cigarette package foil. Smoked the whole wiring harness, and we got a type of smoke we weren't looking for.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO