lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
jbfjr
Not Yet Wild

Default G16E Speed Controller

I'm trying to fix an old G16E golf cart for one of our neighborhood retirees; the speed controller is completely shot, I took it apart and all the MOSFETs and associated components are burned up. I'd like to know if the Alltrax AXE4834 is a good replacement, as the lady who owns the cart has limited funds.
jbfjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: G16E Speed Controller

that would do nicely for roughly stock performance. be sure to get a blocking diode, and precharge resistor for your solenoid. if you dont have a laptop, be very specific when ordering you want it set to 0-5k ohm throttle.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
jbfjr
Not Yet Wild

cgtech,

Thanks for the reply...can you give me some more specifics for the diode and resistor? I thought the throttle range was 0-1K but wasn't sure; it should be 0-5K?

Thanks again,
John F.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
Lifted G16
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

The throttle range should be 0-1k.
Lifted G16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #5
cgtech

Yamaha

nivel part numbers 409 & 411. the diode provides a method to contain the voltage spike created when power is removed from a magnetic coil. it goes on the small terminals of the solenoid, with the stripe towards the positive wire. the resistor supplies the capacitors in the controller with a small amount of power to minimize the difference of voltage between the batteries and controller, its only job is to treat the solenoid nice. it goes across the two large solenoid terminals, its not polarity sensetive. are your throttle wires blue, orange, black (0-5k), or are they white, green, blue (0-1k).
Old 07-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
jbfjr
Not Yet Wild

OK, I think I got it...we have the white-blue-green throttle wires, so that should be 0-1K ohms. The diode and resistor go across the coil terminals of the solenoid in parallel, with the cathode of the diode on the positive terminal of the coil. I agree that the coil needs diode protection, it is very common on automotive relays.

I do have access to a laptop but I'd just as soon have them send the controller pre-programmed to stock values. Will they do that?

Thanks to all you guys for the info.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #7
Lifted G16
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Yes you can get a pre-programmed unit. The programmable units also have default settings and are very user friendly.
Lifted G16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:48 PM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

whoa turbo, that resistor goes on the two large "high-current" terminals. Yes, if you give them your exact application, they will be happy to send it "pre-programmed"
Old 07-23-2013, 05:58 AM   #9
jbfjr
Not Yet Wild

Follow-up: Just thought I would post the results, I installed the Alltrax 4834 along with the additional components such as the pre-charge resistor and the blocking diode.

The cart is running fine now and the little old lady is happily nosing around the airfield again! For a few hours of labor in the hot southeast Texas weather I got a big bowl of home made potato salad!

Thanks to cgtech and Lifted G16 for your help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha