lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2015, 04:33 PM   #1
somfas
Gone Wild

Default Something slipping in the drivetrain, not hubs

I have an electric EZGO TXT with a custom high torque D&D motor. Something has started slipping and it feels like a clutch. I checked the hubs and axle spline and they are fine (Scotty B HD hubs). The slip just started last night (aside from a couple times prior of accidentally hitting the accelerator pedal too hard and it slipping for a second). At those times, you could simply let off the pedal and then reapply gently and it was fine. Last night it happened twice that it would not engage and kept slipping everytime the pedal was depressed. Both times were under power and re-accelerating after taking a corner. It is not loud when it slips and does not jerk when it slips. It feels like a clutch slipping or like brake shoes. It doesn't feel like stripped gears. I was able to get the cart going again both times under full power, which seems like slipping "discs". What are some other things to look at besides the axle ends and hubs?

Thanks
somfas is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-10-2015, 07:18 PM   #2
ORTitan
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Something slipping in the drivetrain, not hubs

How about pulling the motor and checking the splines on the input shaft of the axle?
ORTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:38 PM   #3
smille5291
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

My cart felt just like that when My batteries pooped on me...I was positive the rearend was slipping....Just a thought...
smille5291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:13 AM   #4
Cayman Jan
Not Yet Wild

Have you changed the gearing?
Cayman Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:20 AM   #5
somfas
Gone Wild

Im getting ready to check the motor as soon as I get a chance. The gears have been changed in the rear end, but I didn't do it. Thanks for the help. Will report back if I find out what it is
Old 03-23-2015, 05:47 PM   #6
somfas
Gone Wild

I found out the problem. The intermediate gear was slipping on the high speed gear shaft. The factory shaft has a groove for a roll pin, however the aftermarket shaft does not. I got a 3/16 roll pin and drilled a hole with the gear in place. The groove helped center the bit. The cobalt drill cut through very easy. Most people don't have this problem. However, I have a 72V high torque motor on a stretched cart. As stated, it felt like a clutch slipping and was not loud or chattery. I tried to upload a pic for reference in case someone has the problem in the future but was not able to. Its a pretty easy fix, once you have the gear out. Thanks for all your input.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:51 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Good to know - email the pic to me at scottyb@cartsunlimited.net and I will post it here for you and others.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:42 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Here it is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zzX roll pin.jpg (33.3 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:55 PM   #9
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Glad you got it figured out Somfas!!!
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:36 AM   #10
somfas
Gone Wild

Just an update if anyone reads this thread for their own project. DO NOT use a roll pin!! I just sheared my roll pin. If you are going to go through this much trouble be sure to use a solid pin. I chose the roll pin because it was easy to find and I felt like it should be good enough since you shouldn't need anything at all. Well, it wasn't. Have it torn back down now waiting to find a pin......
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO