lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-23-2016, 08:25 PM   #1
raymorgan
Not Yet Wild

Default Controller for 1989 EZGO

I just purchased a 1989 EZGO from a friend with Manf. code B1089 36V. I figured it was a good buy because the batteries were less than a year old, and the body is in good shape, seats, top, etc. However, it is currently not operable.

I took it to a local shop (Ace Hardware...probably not the best place) to get it checked out. They called back today and said that the forward/reverse switch was bad, as well as the controller, which is what I expected. The guy I bought it from had narrowed it down to that.

Ace said that they called the manufacturer and that the controller part is not available anywhere, and the only way I would be able to get it going is to pull one from a junkyard. I really find that hard to believe.

This is my first golf cart, but it seems like there would be some sort of compatible after market part that would be able to get this cart going. Is that true? Where should I look? I'm sorry I don't have a part number because it's still at the shop, but if anyone knows what I should look for or do, I would greatly appreciate it!

raymorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-23-2016, 08:33 PM   #2
raymorgan
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Controller for 1989 EZGO

Here's a pic. It's showing up sideways, but don't know how to fix that either!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (16.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-24-2016, 09:53 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The cart body style appears to be a Marathon and the stock controller is available from sources other than EZGO and aftermarket controllers are available.

This is where I buy most of my stuff: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/series-controllers.html
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:28 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Hi Ray, and welcome.....as Johnnie stated....lots of available stuff for your cart. and considering you are looking at buying a new controller, depending on how you intend to use your cart, you are in the ideal position to upgrade the entire drive system such that it will be able to provide you with many years of carting pleasure.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:37 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Ace Hardware - Cart Repair
No worries, you can fix it yourself or provide them the parts?

We have 5 different new controls for that cart. All of them for less than the OEM part and most all with higher amperage rating for improved torque...... we also offer a true HD F&R (EZ585L) for this cart.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:22 PM   #6
raymorgan
Not Yet Wild

Thanks all.... I am pretty handy, but don't know anything about carts. It's good to know that I didn't dump a bunch of money for nothing!

As far as use goes, it will be for scooting around the neighborhood with the kids and to the marina down the street. Nothing too taxing I don't think...

Scottyb - you say "we", do you sell these parts?
Old 08-24-2016, 12:27 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymorgan View Post
Thanks all.... I am pretty handy, but don't know anything about carts. It's good to know that I didn't dump a bunch of money for nothing!

As far as use goes, it will be for scooting around the neighborhood with the kids and to the marina down the street. Nothing too taxing I don't think...

Scottyb - you say "we", do you sell these parts?
Yes I am a BGW sponsor and I sell golf cart repair and performance parts at http://www.cartsunlimited.net/home-page.html
You can reach me by email for a parts list and quote at the website. Most of my customers have not worked on a golf cart before but, with a little BGW support and extra direction they all seem to manage quite well. Just read through the pages here to see what I mean. Thanks for asking
Old 08-24-2016, 03:13 PM   #8
raymorgan
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, Scottyb!

I will be in touch. Luckily my friend said he would take it back if it ended up not being worth fixing. But, you guys have given me hope! I knew there had to be a way to get it going....
Old 08-24-2016, 09:14 PM   #9
KeystonePig
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Call Flight Systems Industrial Products in Carlisle, PA. They were able to rebuild my controller and upgrade it to 400a at a fraction of the cost of a new controller ($160). I also sent the motor to Plum Quick Motors for a rebuild and upgrade for $260. Give both a call before spending a ton of $$$$ on a new controller. They will test it first to see if it's able to be rebuilt ($37). It's worth the free phone call. Just my $.02. Good luck. I have the same cart as you do. There are a lot of parts for them you just have to look around.
KeystonePig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:29 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Keystone FYI there is no such thing as a rebuilt control just repaired controls. I know we sold and installed many of them and most failed within the first year. By the time a customer bought 2 'rebuilds' he could have had a new better control for the same $. Be sure you are advising from experience not just a one cart repair.
PS
We all know about controller repair services. If they were as good as you say new controls would be few and far between. okay - enough on that topic for now.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO