lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-18-2017, 04:10 PM   #1
Rlemons
Not Yet Wild

Default 2000 Ezgo DCS- fried controller

First post and I'm sure it will be a doozy for you guys. So I just purchased a EZGO cart for the wife and I'm pretty sure I fried the controller. So the batteries were questionable and thus we found out actually pretty dead. So I went and bought a new set. 6 8v. Except it is a 36v cart and not 48v. I didn't realize this until I had them all hooked up and a little smoke came out of the control cover. Once I pulled that off I realized my mistake as the solenoid is clearly marked 36v. I also discovered then that I had also crossed the positive and negative. So it was about 50v (48 but hot since brand new batteries) and reversed polarity. I know I fried something but not sure exactly what, but I think it's the controller.

So I have swapped the batteries back to 6 6v and wired it back in correctly.

What I have checked. Voltage at battery pack 37.4v. Voltage at large terminal on solenoid 37.4v. Voltage at other large terminal on solenoid 34.4v. Small terminal on solenoid right 37.4 between it and + terminal of battery pack. Small terminal on solenoid left 37.4 between it and - terminal.

I've tried to do pins on the 10pin but having a bit of trouble. The red-yellow that goes to the maintenance/tow switch is visibly burnt at the ten pin end.
Rlemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-18-2017, 04:31 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2000 Ezgo DCS- fried controller

You now have the makings of a 48 volt hot-rod. First, go here and see what you have, DCS or PDS.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...en-system.html

Then go here and read-up on upgrade options. You'll be much happier at 48 volts, and the AllTrax controllers are WAY better than stock.

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/

You really need to get those new batteries on a charger ASAP. You can defer the upgrades, but to preserve your big investment. While on ScottyB's website, read everything on battery break-in and maintenance. I'd buy his DPI charger. Don't skimp, as you'll likely get hooked on the cart (or any cart), for quite some time, and this will help you get more bang for battery bucks.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:19 PM   #3
Rlemons
Not Yet Wild

Mine is definitely a DCS Sepex. It has the F/R, tow/maintenance toggle, and controller that indicate DCS. I've already taken the 6 8v (48v total) batteries back and exchanged for 6 6v. I thought about going ahead and switching to a 48v system but the cart came with a 36 v charger with no apparent issues. Plus none of tHe wires have been upgraded. So I figured I'd save the $400 and stick with a 36v system for now. I'll probably regret because the cart is already lifted with oversized tires ands backseat. But for my (wife's) purposes a 100yard trip to the barn daily I think the 36v system is fine. Any ideas if I killed the controller or is what else should I be checking?
Old 06-18-2017, 07:36 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

being as "a little smoke came out of the control cover" and we know the polarity was reversed on a DCS controller I would bet the controller is history. The Curtis controller is not forgiving like the new Alltrax you should get. The Alltrax has reverse polarity protection
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:02 PM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

You should get an AllTrax, as I can be used at 36 volts, and if (WHEN) you decide to go to 48 volts, you'll be ready. After all, your controller is dead. Why replace with a lame stock controller?
Old 06-18-2017, 08:03 PM   #6
Rlemons
Not Yet Wild

What turnaround and shipping lead time to NC on one of the Alltrax units? My wife is off for the summer and won't be happy if I don't get it back up quickly.

Also side question. If I get the Alltrax now in 36v it can be converted over to 48v in the future if I later decide to go that route?
Old 06-18-2017, 08:20 PM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlemons View Post
What turnaround and shipping lead time to NC on one of the Alltrax units? My wife is off for the summer and won't be happy if I don't get it back up quickly.

Also side question. If I get the Alltrax now in 36v it can be converted over to 48v in the future if I later decide to go that route?
It's Sunday and Father's Day, but I'm sure if you contact ScottyB, he can tell you turn-around time. You can call if he doesn't reply. You will likely have the same or more time for a new stock controller. I would't waste time or money on a rebuilt controller, as they aren't truly rebuilt. Compare cost of new stock and new AllTrax, which will easily go to 48 volt, and if things keep changing, will also do Lithium.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:20 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I would highly recommend getting cables as well, as you will see an increase in performance, even at 36 volts. If you plan on going to 6 - 8 volt batteries, let ScottyB know, as the terminals are different from 6 volt to 8 volt batteries.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:37 AM   #9
jhop869986
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

If for some reason you dont upgrade I have a for sale thread listing a 36v DCS controller, I have the solenoid as well.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/golf-...txt-parts.html
jhop869986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:36 AM   #10
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlemons View Post

I'm in eastern NC and I usually get my stuff from Scottyb in 2 days. Great to deal with!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO