lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-04-2009, 07:58 AM   #1
palladrj
Not Yet Wild

Default Slows Down, Then Shutters at Full Pedal

I purchased a 2001 Street Rod on a Modified Club Car chassis. I always wanted one, and finally found a used one that I could afford. In the first month, I rode the cart through the neighborhood for well over an hour at each outing with no problems. Unfortunately, a few months after the purchase, Ike paid me a visit. There was salt water up to the top of the wheels, but not over the batteries. I checked the differential, and found no water. Thinking that I had escaped the wraith of Ike, I happily rode the cart through the neighborhood, again with no problems. Recently though, it began to slow after ten to fifteen minutes on a full charge. I removed all the wires, and cleaned the connectors at the batteries. Wires at the motor did not appear corroded. I checked the batteries, and found the water level below the plates. I added water, a lot of water, and charged. After a full charge, reading was 48+ volts. I also checked the electrolyte with a bulb tester; they checked out at 100%. I then went on a test run, with the same results as before. After about fifteen minutes, it slowed to a crawl. I rechecked the voltage, and found it to be 48V. The electrolyte was at 75%. Another indication was that the headlights were at full brightness, even when the cart would barley move.

It’s not an IQ. Batteries are original. Cart was in storage for years.

Did I destroy the batteries? Could it be the motor? What can I check next?
palladrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-04-2009, 08:44 AM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Slows Down, Then Shutters at Full Pedal

At 48 volts your batterys are almost dead the readings should be around 51-53 with a full charge. What counts is if EACH battery is the SAME in readings.
With the battery fluid level so low you have probably lost most of the battery plate area. ( What ever was dry for long period is ruined and in most cases will never come back )
Im afraid you are looking at a new set of batterys, but before you do that take the time to test the batterys under a ( load ) and also do a hydrometer test after charging batterys fully. Charging will mix the fluid and give you a proper reading. Get a GOOD hydrometer with a ( temperature scale ) , not one of the multy floats units that are only good for checking antifreeze and adjust accordingly. The test should show specific gravity of 1.277 for a good battery and if any of the cells show less they are bad.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:29 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I have zero experience with flood victim carts but, if the salt water got up to the motor you could have a motor problem as well as low or damaged batteries from having dry plates..... good luck.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:03 PM   #4
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

Salt water eats copper, ruins insulation might want to rewire.
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car