lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-03-2019, 02:38 PM   #21
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Alltrax XCT 1 Green/1 Red Open/Short Circuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
JohnnieB, the XCT page in the Alltrax website defines that error:
1-GRN (+) 1-RED LED flash = Over Current/Short Circuit
I agree that a missing or weak field current could cause an over current condition in the Armature circuit.

Maybe I missed it, but I did not see where the Field to Motor case current path was resolved/retested in the thread.
Sometimes I wonder if the Alltrax tech writers ever talk to the Alltrax engineers, or if their proofreaders communicate with either.

Looks like I was using outdated info.

I didn't see the Field to case issue being resolved either. Or the cables being checked.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-03-2019, 10:28 PM   #22
MauiHoss
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sergio:
Output/Open... My mind modified what I read in the Alltrax manual and I never rechecked. Thanks for catching that.

I took the entire motor to the shop.

I haven't tried disconnecting the M- cable and then field cables. I'll give that a try but I don't know what the expectation is for this. If any wire is disconnected wouldn't that trigger a fault?

JohnnieB:
I just retested the motor in the cart with all wires disconnected and at the motor studs.
  • A1 - A2 = 0.00Ω -- it's supposed to be .3-1Ω so zero Ω is out of range.
  • F1 - F2 = 1.1-1.3Ω -- OK
  • F1 - Motor case = 15.65MΩ -- Is there an upper limit or should this just be above 5MΩ?

Cables test OK for continuity -- tested disconnected at both ends.
MauiHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 03:37 PM   #23
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiHoss View Post
JohnnieB:
I just retested the motor in the cart with all wires disconnected and at the motor studs.

1.[*]A1 - A2 = 0.00Ω -- it's supposed to be .3-1Ω so zero Ω is out of range.

2.[*]F1 - F2 = 1.1-1.3Ω -- OK

3.[*]F1 - Motor case = 15.65MΩ -- Is there an upper limit or should this just be above 5MΩ?

4. Cables test OK for continuity -- tested disconnected at both ends.
1. That might be what is triggering the 1-green/1-red error code. On the other hand, handheld DMMs aren't very likely to measure values under 1Ω very accurately.

2. The reading ought to settle down to a specific value after a few moments.

3. There is no upper limit. Ideally, there should be an open between the A studs and the F studs and between the motor case and either set of studs, but carbon dust from the brushes gets all over everything inside the motor case and eventually conductive pathways are created.

JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:49 PM   #24
MauiHoss
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I decided that it would be best to get a new Admiral B2 motor from ScottyB since the old stock motor wasn't passing the motor tests. ScottyB seemed to think this was the answer as well.

Took a while for FedEx to deliver and there's the minor learning curve on remapping the Alltrax XCT controller. Scotty was a big help with that providing the B2 field map file and some throttle curve info.

Installed the new motor, hooked everything up and... it's still indicating the same error code: one green/one red. Very disappointing!

I disconnected the A1/A2/F1/F2 wires and removed them from the cart. Tested continuity on each wire -- all good. Wire casings are intact. Checked the three wires in the speed control harness for continuity -- all good.

Is it possible that the XCT controller has failed?
Old 08-29-2019, 02:47 PM   #25
MauiHoss
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

After talking with ScottyB about this he suggested that I contact Alltrax tech support.

Will at Alltrax had a simple test to check the controller. Remove the M- wire from terminal J9 on the Alltrax XCT48400-PDS, flip the Run/Tow switch to Run, turn the key on and check the blink codes.
  • If the one green/one red isn't displayed, the problem isn't the controller.
  • If it does still report the one green/one red error, the problem is in the controller.
In my case, the error is still present with the M- wire disconnected so the controller may be the problem.

ScottyB helped me with the return authorization process. I'll be returning the controller to Alltrax since it's still under the two year warranty.

Two things to note: the 2-year warranty begins on the date of manufacture of the controller. Although I purchased this controller in April of 2018, the date of manufacture was November of 2017. So when I received this unit, five months of the warranty period had already elapsed. Effectively I had a 1 1/2 year warranty.

Secondly, this is a very quick and easy test to determine which component has failed. Had I known this simple test in the beginning, I could have avoided purchasing a new motor and gotten the problem resolved much quicker.

I hope that this information will help the next guy trying to resolve this error code. I'll try to post another update once the replacement controller is installed.

Thanks to all of you who've helped me with this issue. Some very smart people on here with a remarkable depth of knowledge which they are happy to share.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:32 PM   #26
MauiHoss
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The warranty replacement XCT48400 controller arrived a couple days ago. Using the Alltrax Toolkit app I was able to load the Admiral B2 field map and modify the speed curve with ScottyB's suggestions to tame the cart down a bit.

With the controller installed and wired into the cart, it was time to see if this cured my EZGO's problem. Run/Tow switch flipped to Run; key on; FNR switch in Neutral. Four green LED blinks on the controller followed by a solid green LED. YES! Success!

First drive now eminent and I'm a bit nervous considering the stories I've read here about carts zooming off almost out of control. A light touch on the throttle and we are off at a modest pace in a very relaxed manor. Speed gathers gently with little change in throttle position much as expected. I can't say this is the best set-up for the farm -- perhaps a bit too fast for the bumpy terrain. I suppose that just means I'll get my work done that much faster.

I have no laptop so I wanted to make sure that I had the settings nailed before installing the controller in the cart. I had read several more posts about the controller before disconnecting the controller from the toolkit and decided that I would reduce the throttle rate to 15% from the default 25%. I'm not sure that was a good idea because it does take a little too long for the throttle input to translate into movement. Once it starts moving, it feels like the power just keeps coming which is fine by me.

Once again, thank you all for your help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO