lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-26-2019, 10:05 PM   #1
H3LLCART
Not Yet Wild

Default RXV Brake Issue

So I am having an issue with my 2012 RXV Cart. I started smelling electric smell and did some searching on here and determined the most likely suspect was the brake unit. So I ordered a new one and installed it with no problem. It lasted about an hour then started smelling. Before I could make it home it locked up and the cart shut down. Maybe I got a bad one as a replacement but could something else be causing them to burn up? Thanks in advance.
H3LLCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-26-2019, 10:08 PM   #2
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Default Re: Help with RXV Brake Issue

All it takes is tightening the three M6 bolts too tight to EOL a new E brake.

Also was yours an OEM EZGO part # 617766? if it's an aftermarket one send it back and get an OEM one.

When installing you need only tighten the three bolts just enough to compress the lock washers, no more. then, in tow mode, key in N (on) you should be able to freely spin a rear wheel and not hear any resistance or feel any. if you do, the brake is dragging and will burn up again. sometimes cycling key on/off a few times while in TOW 'sets' the brake.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:04 AM   #3
Newbuggyboy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgicollector View Post
Yes buy OEM but not a HD brake.

As per Bob he is seeing more problems with people running the OEM HD brake even with the ones with the Curtis controller in them.
Saw this
Newbuggyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:26 AM   #4
LabRat
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Yes we have attempted to use those bargain basement Brakes, you get what you pay for. No problem from the OEM. we replace about one every 6 weeks or so with no returns. Its the bearing encoder replacement thats the real pain. Yet another case of "Engineers gone wild" :]
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 05:33 PM   #5
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Default Re: RXV Brake Issue

Lately brake failures have gotten to where the cause ends up being 'kids were on golf cart before it failed'

I keep telling folks that no one under 16 should be driving on a golf cart, especially one with a 6" lift kit, and tuned to go 20 MPH. It's going to eventually end with more than just a simple brake failure or a broken nose piece from running into a tree (the parents laugh it off but if that had happened to me at that age i'd have myself whooped and grounded for six months) it will end with the death of a child.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 02:54 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: RXV Brake Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
Lately brake failures have gotten to where the cause ends up being 'kids were on golf cart before it failed'

I keep telling folks that no one under 16 should be driving on a golf cart, especially one with a 6" lift kit, and tuned to go 20 MPH. It's going to eventually end with more than just a simple brake failure or a broken nose piece from running into a tree (the parents laugh it off but if that had happened to me at that age i'd have myself whooped and grounded for six months) it will end with the death of a child.
And, one might imagine that if every time the kids drive, $260 flys out of the pocket for a new brake, that would get shut down....
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO