lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-31-2019, 02:59 AM   #1
Angleo
Not Yet Wild

Default Ez Go Textron Charger

Hello all,
I'm currently in need of some assistance. I purchased an electric ez-go golf cart a few years back and i do believe it's 79 model. The golf cart came with an ez-go Textron Total Charge, charger. I have traced down a bad diode on the heatsink but i'm also trying to find out more information about the controller board. I would also like to have a wiring schematic or manual for the charger. I've done extensive research and can't find the one that's in the charger. I'm hesitant on purchasing a new board because all of the boards i've seen have the relay that is wired. Hopefully the pictures will help.
Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190731_015637.jpg (174.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190731_015644.jpg (182.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190731_015809.jpg (194.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190731_015819.jpg (207.8 KB, 0 views)
Angleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-31-2019, 01:47 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ez Go Textron Charger

The good news is that just about any stud mount 100V (or greater) 35A (or greater) power rectifier will work and just about any generic replacement control board will work. (IE: 1N1184 for the diodes - replace both.)

The bad news is the ring connectors on the wires to the control board will have to be changed to spade connectors and you might have to drill some new holes in the metal mounting area to line up with the mounting holes on the new control board.

--------------

Considering its age, the capacitor may have drifted in value. Here is how to check it and the transformer, plus a schematic of a TC-1 with the next newer style control board, which also is no longer available.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Transformer-Capacitor test.JPG (66.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Transformer-Capacitor test - Text.JPG (176.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Total Charge.jpg (191.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Total Charge - Green Face - Wiring Diagram.jpg (78.4 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:37 PM   #3
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

That is an interesting charger because it has a timer but it is actually automatic. I guess it was the transition from the blue and white one to the black Total Charge that was fully automatic. I also have that same charger that I am having some issues with as well.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 12:22 AM   #4
Angleo
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The good news is that just about any stud mount 100V (or greater) 35A (or greater) power rectifier will work and just about any generic replacement control board will work. (IE: 1N1184 for the diodes - replace both.)

The bad news is the ring connectors on the wires to the control board will have to be changed to spade connectors and you might have to drill some new holes in the metal mounting area to line up with the mounting holes on the new control board.

--------------

Considering its age, the capacitor may have drifted in value. Here is how to check it and the transformer, plus a schematic of a TC-1 with the next newer style control board, which also is no longer available.
Thank you so much for the info it will help a ton! I have the items on order now! Thank you again!
Old 08-01-2019, 12:31 AM   #5
Angleo
Not Yet Wild

Another question has came up. What board would be a good replacment if i were to replace the board? I haven't tested the cap or transformer yet. But i'd have to have the diodes to test the transformer and cap correct?
Old 08-01-2019, 12:15 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angleo View Post
Another question has came up. What board would be a good replacment if i were to replace the board? I haven't tested the cap or transformer yet. But i'd have to have the diodes to test the transformer and cap correct?
All the "Control Boards" currently on the market function the same, so they are all good replacements.

Diodes are not needed to test transformer and capacitor. You are looking at the AC side of the diodes. However, if diodes are bad, they ought to be disconnected to make the tests.

FWIW: All the control board does is turn the charger on if the battery pack's voltage is above about 30V and turns it off when the on-charge voltage climbs to about 45V. The newer boards also have a backup timer that shuts off charger if the on-charge voltage does not reach 45V within 12 hours or so.

Also: The capacitor's µF value has to match the transformer, so if it is bad get one with same value that is marked on old capacitor.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:36 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeL View Post
That is an interesting charger because it has a timer but it is actually automatic. I guess it was the transition from the blue and white one to the black Total Charge that was fully automatic. I also have that same charger that I am having some issues with as well.
The first generation of control boards didn't have an electronic backup timer like the newer one have, so a mechanical timer was used.

You can tell if the chargers that have a mechanical timer also have a control board or are timer only by the first number to the right (CW) of the OFF position. If it is a "1", it is timer only and if it is an "11" it is control board and timer.

Ironically, some of the timer only chargers were labeled "Automatic Charger". See attached.
This was very likely due to the ferroresonant transformer and boost capacitor design automatically reducing amp flow through the batteries as the on-charge voltage increased.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Textron - Timer.jpg (138.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-01-2019, 12:57 PM   #8
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
You can tell if the chargers that have a mechanical timer also have a control board or are timer only by the first number to the right (CW) of the OFF position. If it is a "1", it is timer only and if it is an "11" it is control board and timer.

That’s right. I noticed that as well. The timer on the control board models indicates the elapsed charging time when it’s finished.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:39 PM   #9
Angleo
Not Yet Wild

You guys rock! I only wish I knew more about the chargers. It'd be easy to fix knowing what you know lol. I'm only a little fish with itty bitty fins in a big ol' pond. So as said above I do greatly appreciate all of the help I can get!
Old 08-01-2019, 08:22 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angleo View Post
You guys rock! I only wish I knew more about the chargers. It'd be easy to fix knowing what you know lol. I'm only a little fish with itty bitty fins in a big ol' pond. So as said above I do greatly appreciate all of the help I can get!
I learn just about everything I know about golf carts, batteries and chargers from this forum.

Granted, I did know about electronics and troubleshooting prior to getting here.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO