lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2019, 08:44 PM   #1
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Precedent dead thinking obc issue

Trying to help a friend with a dead precedent serial pq0635. I am a newbie to the club cars but learning. Pack is low but 49+ volts. Charger doesn’t kick on when plugged in. Just found the correct circuit diagram so haven’t tested pin outs but key on in run no reverse buzzer. Thinking that obc is dead and from what I have gleaned from the obc bypass procedure if I unplug obc 6 pin harness and jump white and lt blue the cart should run. If it does will check signals coming to the obc to make sure it isn’t something else. Am I on track here?
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2019, 09:52 PM   #2
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Precedent dead thinking obc issue

Yes. Try that and report back. Pack voltage is low for what it’s worth.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:00 PM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Thanks and yes I told him to get a 12 charger and bring those batteries up. Brand new. Thinking his obc failed and caused the original problem of dead batteries.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:25 AM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Okay still haven’t tried this yet but my brain keeps spinning

Steps.

Will cart run? Disconnect 6 pin obc harness and 10 ga black wire coming from the charge socket. Jumper blue and white. Cart should run. If all is okay except obc.

Charger check. With 6 pin and 10ga still disconnected and charger plugged in to cart, jumper grey charger socket wire to b6 negative. If charger kicks on when it didn’t before, bad obc. Won’t actually charge because of 10ga wire from above disconnected.

Finally. If I wanted to bypass the obc for good, could I just disconnect the 6 pin, cut of the harness from the obc, splice blue and white, tape everything else off, plug back in, cut the 2 10ga black wires and grey wire, splice them all together and abandon the obc in place? Sorry for the run on and yes I realize that this would require a replacement charger.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:08 AM   #5
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Okay still haven’t tried this yet but my brain keeps spinning

Steps.

Will cart run? Disconnect 6 pin obc harness and 10 ga black wire coming from the charge socket. Jumper blue and white. Cart should run. If all is okay except obc. No need to disconnect the black wire, but otherwise correct

Charger check. With 6 pin and 10ga still disconnected and charger plugged in to cart, jumper grey charger socket wire to b6 negative. If charger kicks on when it didn’t before, bad obc. Won’t actually charge because of 10ga wire from above disconnected. Somewhat correct. The charger will "click" on, but unless the black wire is routed from the charger receptacle directly to the main negative battery terminal, you'll see no amps on your meter.

Finally. If I wanted to bypass the obc for good, could I just disconnect the 6 pin, cut of the harness from the obc, splice blue and white, tape everything else off, plug back in, cut the 2 10ga black wires and grey wire, splice them all together and abandon the obc in place? Sorry for the run on and yes I realize that this would require a replacement charger.Also somewhat correct. Do not connect the grey wire to anything. Simply don't use it.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:31 AM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Been talking with the Dawg but just to keep everything here. Was disconnecting the black 10ga wire in step 1 just for safety. Step 2 I realize that I wouldn’t see anything on the charger but would tell me if the activation circuit works. Step 3 I now realize I don’t have to do unless I won’t to use the stock charger while monitoring.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:46 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

You don't need to disconnect the black wire at the OBC, just jumper the Blue and White together to make sure the cart runs.

Make sure the Red wire from the charge receptacle is connected properly to the B1 positive (main positive post) and is not corroded. Power for the relay inside the charger comes from this wire, so you need pack voltage getting to the charger on this wire for it to turn on.

On the back of the charge receptacle make sure none of the wires are corroded or frayed. It's common on the older DS receptacles for the grey wire to fray and break inside the back of the receptacle. Give the grey wire a tug and see if it pulls out. If it does replace the receptacle. Negative for the charger relay is supplied by the OBC via the grey wire. If the grey wire is damaged the OBC doesn't know the charger is plugged in.

If that all checks out, jumper the grey wire from the receptacle to the pack negative, and plug the charger in. The charger relay should click on, and the charger transformer should hum. It may be quiet if the OBC is not allowing current to pass through it, but this will determine if the OBC is bad and not turning the charger on.

If you determine the OBC is bad and end up getting a smart charger, you can use the grey wire from the receptacle for charger lockout control, so don't just cut it off.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:56 PM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Thanks fairtax4me.. Went over there this morning and unplugged the 6 pin and jumped white to blue. Cart would operate. Ran a jumper from grey wire to b6- and charger solenoid closed. Conclusion bad obc.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car