lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2019, 02:55 PM   #1
LEB_Kris
Not Yet Wild

Default Another make my cart faster thread -'13 txt 48v

OK guys,

Ive read. Ive searched. Lots of opinions and most dont agree.

2013 EzGo txt 48v with the F & R on the dash (well, it has ScottyBs under seat kit now), stock controller, stock motor, stock solenoid, Trojan Ranger 160s, 1/0 welding cable for battery and controller, 6" lift and 23" tires run at 20psi front and 16psi rear.

Current top speed is around 19-20mph through gps as I imagine most other carts are. I travel 95% paved roads with little to no incline. On occasion I will pull my 4x8 utility trailer around my yard to pick up sticks or etc.

I would like to increase top speed to 25-27mph without sacrificing torque for the trailer and maintain at least 30miles+ on a charge. - currently runs 35miles between charges on occasion

I have been looking to do the Alltrax 500amp controller and 400amp solenoid for just under $600 now and possibly a motor (Plum Quick is somewhat local and has caught my eye) later on.

Sound reasonable? Or is it better to buy a motor first and then the controller? Lets just assume we have a ~$600 budget
LEB_Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2019, 03:51 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Another make my cart faster thread -'13 txt 48v

My 2012 48txt with 21" runs low 20s with no mods so surprised your's isn't faster but.. The stock controller can be tweaked a little to give you some more speed and umph but not like an Alltrax.. Just need a laptop, a developer cable and know what to change ..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:05 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The stock TXT-48 controller (Curtis 1206HB) limits the motor to 4400RPM, which is about 19 MPH on stock height tires and ought to be about 24 MPH on 23" tall tires, so something is holding your cart back. Perhaps the rear tires only inflated to 16 PSI.

At 19 MPH on 23" tires, your motor is only spinning at 3500 RPM. However, that more or less matches the max RPM for the "Golf Coastal" mode for a stock TXT-48 controller, so what did the cart do before the 23" tires were installed?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:10 PM   #4
LEB_Kris
Not Yet Wild

Bought the cart with the 23" tires about 5yrs ago.

I guess my question is more focused towards the logical order of parts purchase rather than "how cheap can I do this."

Controller/solenoid is just under $600. Motor is just under $600.

Stock controller/solenoid will limit me greatly on motor choice. Buying a good controller/solenoid now will give many more options on motor choice later. - as I understand it.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:43 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEB_Kris View Post
Bought the cart with the 23" tires about 5yrs ago.

I guess my question is more focused towards the logical order of parts purchase rather than "how cheap can I do this."

Controller/solenoid is just under $600. Motor is just under $600.

Stock controller/solenoid will limit me greatly on motor choice. Buying a good controller/solenoid now will give many more options on motor choice later. - as I understand it.
Go with an Alltrax XCT48400-TXT48 (or larger) controller and 200A (or larger) solenoid and you might not need to replace the motor.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:44 PM   #6
MikeM53
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I just finished upgrading a friend's 2011 TXT 48. Put in the Alltrax TXT48 500 controller, 400 amp solenoid, 2 ga cables, new Crown CR165s. The cart has a stock motor and 22 in tires inflated to 20 psi.

I'm still breaking in the batteries, but it is now running 26 mph on the straight and level. Put 12 miles on it today and it is still around 90% soc. Crazy power!

I would go with the Carts Unlimited upgraded controller and use the stock motor.

Very happy with the way the cart performs.
MikeM53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:45 PM   #7
LEB_Kris
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Go with an Alltrax XCT48400-TXT48 (or larger) controller and 200A (or larger) solenoid and you might not need to replace the motor.
Exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you
Old 08-26-2019, 09:44 PM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Well I would definitely find out before you spend a chunk of change is what is the controller set to. A few clicks with the correct device can do wonders.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:59 AM   #9
woffoja
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I upgraded my 2000 EZGO TXT from 36v to 48v (trojan batteries), put in the Alltrax controller and a new 48v solenoid. Upgraded all cables to 2 gauge and put in a new battery meter. Stock motor, I can get 29 mph on the 23" tires inflated to aroun 25 PSI. I put together a video on what I did for the upgrade if you're interested.
woffoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:43 PM   #10
iainlbc
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by woffoja View Post
I upgraded my 2000 EZGO TXT from 36v to 48v (trojan batteries), put in the Alltrax controller and a new 48v solenoid. Upgraded all cables to 2 gauge and put in a new battery meter. Stock motor, I can get 29 mph on the 23" tires inflated to aroun 25 PSI. I put together a video on what I did for the upgrade if you're interested.

Hey I just watched your video! And I just installed the same controller today! I noticed you used a diode. In the install instructions I have it said the diode isn’t needed if the controller was manufactured later than 2017, so I omitted it. Do you think I should install it??? [emoji848]nice cart btw!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iainlbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO