lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-23-2019, 10:01 AM   #1
granderson22
Not Yet Wild

Default Curtis 500 amp controller expectations for 2013 excel

I have a 2013 precedent PH serial number.I had a 500 amp curtis controller installed and was wondering what kind of performance I should be getting. Everything else is stock. It will go 17 mph on level ground and slows to 11 mph on hills. It was faster with the code 4 on stock controller. Shop said they turned the controller all the way up.
granderson22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-23-2019, 11:56 AM   #2
Bobbob
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Curtis 500 amp controller expectations for 2013 excel

How old are your batteries? What is the voltage of pack? Sounds to me like you are not getting full charge on your batteries. My golf car is doing same thing but know batteries are over five years old. I can watch my voltage drop when I go up a small hill and the speed drops off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 12:16 PM   #3
granderson22
Not Yet Wild

Batteries are less than a year old. Don't know the voltage.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:39 PM   #4
Bobbob
Gone Wild

Club Car

The PH indicates you have a OBC that controls your battery charger. It may need to be reset because it is not fully charging your batteries. It’s just a guessing game right now with out a voltage reading of what the batteries are charged at. The OBC(On Board Computer) measures how much energy your golf car used and recharges accordingly. Sometimes it gets confused and has to be reset. But at this point this is just a guess.

Old 11-23-2019, 03:47 PM   #5
granderson22
Not Yet Wild

Thanks I will check the voltage. But how fast should my cart go with the new controller if the batteries and everything else are okay?
Old 11-23-2019, 04:13 PM   #6
Bobbob
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Curtis 500 amp controller expectations for 2013 excel

I have the White 1515-5206 controller with mine which is for the ERIC charger. I have mode 4 set by dealer. The golf car will go about 19-20 MPH. I also have a new Alltrax XCT 48500 with 400A solenoid and 2 gage cables I have not installed yet. Waiting till it gets a little bit colder here until I tear my cart apart to install. You will have to wait for someone with the 500A Curtis to answer. I would think though that you would have a little more speed with the 500 amp unit. But that also depends on good batteries and cables.

Old 11-23-2019, 07:24 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Amps don’t improve speed. Speed is set by the controller and the max that a factory programmed controller is able to provide is 19.5mph. Depending on the speed code programmed into that controller 17mph may be the max that controller can provide.

Amps help with climbing power, but the main factor in the carts ability to climb a hill is the motor. A stock motor can only produce so much power, and that will not be greatly changed by the controller, regardless of how many amps the controller is rated to provide.

If that’s an excel cart, you’re pretty well stuck with what you have unless you stray away from the factory Curtis controllers and upgrade to an Alltrax or change to a more basic IQ controller and harness.

If you can provide an exact model number from the controller, someone here may be able to tell you if a speed sensor magnet upgrade may make a difference. On a stock excel controller speed magnets do nothing, but that may not apply to an upgraded version.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 01:11 PM   #8
granderson22
Not Yet Wild

I checked the voltage and it was 50.5 for the pack. Tested all individually and all were over 8.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:35 PM   #9
Bobbob
Gone Wild

Club Car

FT knows what he is talking about with controller. I would go back to your installer and have him put in an Alltrax 400 or 500 Amp controller. You can then control it with your laptop computer and program it for a lot higher speed depending on your tire size.

Old 11-24-2019, 04:16 PM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by granderson22 View Post
I checked the voltage and it was 50.5 for the pack. Tested all individually and all were over 8.
Is that at rest?
Need to also test pack voltage while the cart is moving to put it under load and see how far the voltage falls when under load. Testing at rest only tells you half the story.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car