lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-24-2019, 10:18 AM   #1
luckyjock55
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 1996 Club Car DS won't run

I have a 1996 48V Club Car DS.
Trojan 8V batteries Feb 2015, still in good shape.
It was running well before I stowed it for about 7 months last April under the same checks and conditions that I have done for previous 4 years with no problems.
I recently took it out of storage to discover that the water levels were good but the batteries were almost completely dead. ( 0.2 to 0.4 VDC per 8V per battery.)
I charged each battery, isolated, at 12V, 2 amps for about 30 minutes each bringing them up to about 5 to 6 volts each for a total of 28 VDC.
However, the Power-Drive3 Charger (it works) would not kick in when I plugged it in. Nor did I get any sign of action from switching on the single headlight, the horn, or the volt meter. There was no ‘click’ at the solenoid when I tried the power pedal.
Are there any obvious things that that I should check ?
How much battery power does it take to activate the battery charger?
Any suggestions are welcome and very much appreciated
Thanks
Jim
luckyjock55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-24-2019, 10:24 AM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 1996 Club Car DS won't run

Relay values may vary slightly, but I use 30 volts as a minimum for 36 volt packs & 36 volts for a 48 volt pack. 28 volts just isn't enough. Depending on how long the batteries sat that low, they may not come back. Give it another round with the 12 volt charger, one battery at a time & see if you can get them up a bit more.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:19 AM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

You have an OBC on that cart and the OBC is what ultimately tells the charger to turn on.
It’s possible you have a bad connection somewhere, or that the OBC has failed for some reason.

Something you can do to get the batteries charging is try bypassing the relay in the charger so it turns on regardless of the OBC telling it to.
Unplug the charger from the cart, and from the wall AC outlet. Remove the top case of the charger and find the relay board at the rear of the charger.
You’ll have two black wires going to the relay control board, remove them from the relay and connect them together with a short jumper. Insulate the connections so it can’t short against the case or other parts in the charger. Replace the charger case, then plug the DC charge cord into the cart, before plugging the AC cord into the wall. The black wires at the relay are the Hot side AC into the transformer, so as soon as the AC cord is plugged in, the transformer will be powered, and the charger should show output on the ammeter. Let it run for 3-4 hours to bring the entire pack voltage up and then see if the cart will operate. When you unplug the charger remember to unplug the AC cord from the wall First before unplugging the dc cord from the cart.

If the ammeter does not show any output then you may have to totally bypass the OBC to get the pack to charge.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:20 AM   #4
luckyjock55
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thank you very much Gentlemen, I slowly charged each battery up to about 6 1/2 to 7 volts for a total of 40+Volts. Plugged it in and it worked. It was running for a few hours with the onboard meter reading close to fully charged when I unplugged it for the night. It held that charge and I gave it a short 15 minute run and plugged it back in. I think it'll be good to go now.
Thank you for your help.
luckyjock55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car