lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-20-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
sternk13
Not Yet Wild

Default Hesitation After Pedal Pushed

Hi All,

I have owned a 2005 DS with an I.Q. Curtis controller for three years and the only part I have had to replace has been the main solenoid last year. But, the cart quit on the wife a couple days ago so I made sure the batteries (50.5V) were holding charge (tested them individually with my Fluke at 8.45 - 8.52V) and cleaned all the terminal connections to ensure full power to the motor. Nothing happened until I shorted the solenoid again and it moved.

But, this cart has frequently sat there after the run pedal is depressed, for up to a minute, before taking off. Other times, it takes off instantly. Being a computer engineer I am thinking there may be a POST (power on self test) diagnostic that is being checked out? The perplexing part is that I can't see anything that would cause this, and it will run for miles afterwards just fine.

Any ideas and does anyone know if the service manual covers a topic like this in depth? Anyone have the service manual and want to comment on whether it is worth the $$$? Thanks!
sternk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-20-2010, 10:10 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Hesitation After Pedal Pushed

the servive manual covers just about everything...........but if your jumping the soleniod and its running chances are the other one was going bad....so i think i would start by replacing it..................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:23 AM   #3
sternk13
Not Yet Wild

Thanks shadowman.

Strangely enough though I took the jumper off the solenoid and tried to run the cart again. I depressed the pedal and once again I could hear the microswitch click and after about 15 seconds the solenoid engaged and the cart took off. Just for curiosity sake I took apart the original solenoid I had replaced and inspected it. It looks extremely clean, with no burned contacts. I wouldn't be surprised if it would work if I put it back in.

It still feels like a computer problem to me but I'm sure they don't reveal the source code in the service manual. Do you know if they provide a flowchart of what the computer checks out on startup?

Thanks again!
Old 08-21-2010, 11:31 AM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i beleive it dosn,t do much more than check voltage in batteries and how many times it has been thur a charge cycle........................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:53 PM   #5
Dinger
Not Yet Wild

I'm going to throw this out to you but I'm not sure if it will help your problem. I service 60 2002 48v Club Car carts for a golf club in Michigan. IQ system. I have had 4 of them that would take off just fine and go for 40 to 100 yards and then just stop. Let up on the pedal and push it down again and it would take off again and then shut down again after a short distance. I talked to the Club Car service center here in Michigan and they recommended a little wiring harness that connects in line to the wires that go to the tow-run switch. Club Car sells this wiring harness that has a little electronic part in it (diode? resistor? or something) that keeps the selonoid activated at all times when the pedal is down. They couldn't explain to me why it worked but it solved a problem that was in the computer and causing the start-stop problem. I'm just wondering if this little $30 wiring harness might solve your selonoid problem also. You could try contacting U.S. Golf Cars in Calidonia, Michigan about it.
Dinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:27 PM   #6
sternk13
Not Yet Wild

Dinger, thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure this would solve my problem since once the cart moves it will keep moving for miles without a problem. It still feels like a computer glitch. Do you know if they have an upgraded computer program for a 2002 CC cart by chance? Thanks
Old 08-26-2010, 02:24 PM   #7
ECC Golfer
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I don't have an answer to your problem but will be keeping an eye on this thread since I have the same issue. I also have a 2005 DS IQ.
ECC Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Sternk13.... when the car is in "not running" mode, does the reverse buzzer work? If not, the OBC is dropping ground and the system won't power up. If it is working, it may be something as simple as an MCOR with an intermittent internal micro-switch. I'd have to have an IQDM machine plugged into the car to monitor this condition to tell you exactly what's going on, but the MCOR is definitely a good starting point if you're getting a buzzer.

Dinger, yes I've installed a few of these myself. They work every time. It's called an IQ Dropout harness. There are resistors in it that help to keep the capacitors charged up in the controller. On early IQ cars, that particular circuit wouldn't stay charged up with enough power to hold the solenoid in the "ON" position. Thus, the IQ Dropout Harness was born. All of the newer (should be late 04-11) should have the resistors built into the factory harness.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:00 PM   #9
sternk13
Not Yet Wild

Hi ECC Golfer, it is interesting that you also have an 'IQ' model with this problem. Hopefully we will get this figured out as I wouldn't doubt others also have this problem.

TahoeDawgZ71, yes the reverse buzzer does work when this problem occurs. The only time I haven't had the buzzer operate is when I reset the computer per the instructions on this site, and it began buzzing again after a short period. The MCOR is something I need to investigate, but I do hear a micro-switch operate when I activate the foot pedal. Whether the cart moves at that point or not, well, that's another thing!

Have you ever experienced a micro-switch that would 'click' and then for a random amount of time, from one second to up to a minute (or not move that day!), prevent a cart from moving? That is what I am experiencing, and just to make life interesting this morning I went out and the cart behaved just fine. This problem occurs whether I have just charged the batteries or driven the cart a few miles. The one common thread is it occurs after the foot pedal has gone from unpressed to on, and position doesn't seem to be a factor.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:18 PM   #10
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sternk13 View Post
Hi ECC Golfer, it is interesting that you also have an 'IQ' model with this problem. Hopefully we will get this figured out as I wouldn't doubt others also have this problem.

TahoeDawgZ71,
Have you ever experienced a micro-switch that would 'click' and then for a random amount of time, from one second to up to a minute (or not move that day!), prevent a cart from moving? That is what I am experiencing
Yes I have. You can confirm it with a multimeter on continuity test.... put the probes on the two-pins inside the mcor and click it continuously and see if it ever fails..... The easiest way would be with an IQDM machine, but I understand you don't have access to one of those. How far are you from a dealer? Surely they wouldn't charge you much just to tell you what the IQDM says.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car