lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-14-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
JRL
Gone Wild

Default Hyundai G2 Kaw ZX6

Here's some info that might be of interest to you lucky Hyundai owners. Not much information on these things.
Installing a '93 ZX6E into a gas powered G2 Hyundai. Using the OEM Dana transaxle with a 530 chain drive.
Been on and off this project, but it is getting done...just slowly.
The pics show the rear suspension bumped up agains the frame so the engine is tilted forward since the shocks are not installed. Got to find a lift kit for the car. It would be OK without lifting, but that limits wheel and tire selection.
The pics show the radiator install too. Fretted over that thing for a bit and it just sorta fell onto the frame. Just too simple. Now if I could use the frame tubes for water lines....?! Ain't gonna happen, but it would be cool. Suppose I'll run a couple of 1" copper tubes beside the frame tubes. That'll keep them from being crushed. The Hyundai plastic front fender assembly fits nicely over the radiator with plenty of airflow. Will have to leave off the front center plastic suspension cover. Or cut it out.
Not sure of what to do with the oil cooler yet. Probably mount it next to the engine.
Hyundai seems to be a Yamaha knockoff, and a lot of Yamaha (G2?) parts will fit.
JR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1797.JPG (137.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1805.JPG (158.3 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1806.JPG (154.1 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1795.JPG (142.5 KB, 53 views)
JRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: Hyundai G2 Kaw ZX6

Nice keep the pics coming
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:37 PM   #3
JRL
Gone Wild

Thanks, sitting here thinking about the radiator location. Need a good bumper. One stupid move and I'll be on Ebay trying to find another "E" model radiator.
Here's a couple of pix of the final drive prior to installing the swing arm.
The axle mount bolt holes are elongated for chain adjustment. It'll move about 1/8th". Doesn't take much.
Another pic shows the ground speed governor that I removed. I kept the arm intact because it makes a good "interface" for the cart throttle cable to ZX throttle cable. It will allow some easy adjustments for geometry between the cables without cutting up the factory cable ends.
JR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1793.JPG (106.1 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1794.JPG (111.6 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1790-1.JPG (88.0 KB, 39 views)
Old 06-15-2011, 08:55 AM   #4
HyperMotive Racing
Getting Wild

No need to mount the radiator up front. get a good sized one with a fan, and you'll be golden. just have to leave room for air to move through it. figure most of the time, you won't be thrashing it and causing it to overheat. Plus, you could set it up so it blows warm air on you for the colder times...

Heres a pic of mine...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-02-10 19.37.48.jpg (132.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-02-10 19.37.39.jpg (135.6 KB, 32 views)
HyperMotive Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:15 PM   #5
JRL
Gone Wild

VERY nice item!
Your project is in a different league from my bass hauler. You wallet is a lot fatter too!...or was!
My cart is primarily going to be used to haul an upright bass around at bluegrass festivals. Using a '03 CC 48V right now, but that thing has no range (no balls either). Great little cart, but it ain't what I want.
Too late on the radiator, it's mounted on the front. Don't want a lot of heat coming up thru the inside rear of the cart due to the bass.
Plan to leave the oil cooler next to the engine. Got a tiny motorcycle fan off a Kaw EX250 for that. I may leave the fan off for a bit. Might find that the way the things will be used heating won't be a problem. ZX6's ran pretty warm in the bike frame, but the fan would keep them just under the redline which is about 210*...it'll rock around in that range when idling in hot weather.
We'll see how this goes...if it works out, maybe a 'busa motor will be next!
JR
Old 06-16-2011, 05:56 AM   #6
HyperMotive Racing
Getting Wild

Wallet only appears fat. I did drop $1k on the engine, but even that was cheap for what it was. All of that high dollar racing equipment you see was either bought at a swap meet, or seriously refurbished from our race program. I'm a cheap *** that finds good deals. The only thing I can't seem to catch a break on is time...
Old 06-16-2011, 10:15 PM   #7
JRL
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMotive Racing View Post
Wallet only appears fat. I did drop $1k on the engine, but even that was cheap for what it was. All of that high dollar racing equipment you see was either bought at a swap meet, or seriously refurbished from our race program. I'm a cheap *** that finds good deals. The only thing I can't seem to catch a break on is time...
What engine do you have? I see the tiny turbo and fabbed airbox...do you still have the OEM transaxle?
When I had my transaxle apart while losing the gov, it looked pretty strong. In fact, looked overbuilt. I'm used to looking at motorcycle transmissions with really small gear surface, but large dogs. Are your frame members your exhaust?
Your cart definitely has a ton of "cool-factor!" The only "cool-factor" I'm going to have will be related to noise.
Started fabbing up the seat today. The seat and airbox are going to be a PITA. Rummaging around for set of velocity stacks (not common for ZX6) so that I can cut the flare off and use UniFilters or K&N pods.
BTW, where did you find that little fuel cell? Discovered my fuel tank won't fit...about and 1" interference with the dyno cover. No biggie. The cart had a huge gas tank. Don't need that large capacity.
Good thing I've got a narrow a$$ because the seat is going to be really thin across the area just above the engine.
Bought some turbo exhaust wrap for the headers. Should keep some of the heat out of the area. Maybe keep from melting the seat box!
May end up with two smallish bucket seats and an automotive looking blower scoop over the engine. Dunno yet.
JR

Last edited by JRL; 06-16-2011 at 10:18 PM.. Reason: Additional info
Old 06-17-2011, 10:32 PM   #8
rifter
rifter

E-Z-GO

Scoop!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00005id8.jpg (171.0 KB, 31 views)
rifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:32 AM   #9
JRL
Gone Wild

Yep, that's what I'm talking about. Plan to face the scoop to the rear and call it an 'outlet'...? The carbs mount angles make that the highest component.
Thinking about incorporating the scoop into the seat. Maybe a couple of cup holders too.
Now off to find some 14" or 16" rear shocks. I've got a bad shock so might buy two new longer shocks and forgo the lift adaptors. Looks like a 6" Jake's is on next weeks list of things to spend bucks on. Yamaha G2 lift appears to fit a G2 Hyundai.
Got a whole list of piddlin things like 7mm spark plug wires, air filters (?), and the not so piddlin...wheels and tires.
Found out that the Hyundai fuel tank will not fit into place. The dyno cover on the ZX interferes by about and inch. But, I've got an OMC outboard oil reservoir which is a nice little square 2 gallon item with a pickup and guage sender. Cool. The Hyundai fuel tank would have been a plus...it must be 6 gallon capacity. I don't need to carry that much fuel, but...?
I'd like to use 12" rear wheels, but I'd guess that the large wheels will reduce brake grip. Maybe 12" and low profile tires?
JR
Old 06-20-2011, 05:58 AM   #10
HyperMotive Racing
Getting Wild

The engine is an 07 zx10R with a factory Nissan SR20 turbo. Using a stock Yamaha rearend and swingarm mounted on a Columbia frame thats been double stretched. After having the rear apart this weekend to eliminate the govenor, the axles are going to snap in this thing They are at best 7/8" dia. I was planning to weld up the diff, but my mig nozzle was too big to get in there! Don't know what I'm going to do about that yet. The frame tubes are just tubes. When complete, there will be a tool box sitting there and sheetmetal covering all of that. but yes, it does look pretty tough with double DOM frame ends! Oh, and the fuel cell is out of either a jr. dragster or regular dragster i beleive.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps