lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2011, 08:28 AM   #1
go EZ
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZ GO diagnostic flowchart

Hey guys, I just want to make certain that I'm reading something correctly in the EZ GO technician's manual I d/l from the link in the sticky.
I've got a 2000 EZ GO Jacobsen Hauler and 38.2 volts from the battery pack (reference voltage).
On pages E-4/E-5 of the manual:
> Does not run > key selector ON > Direction selector in F, Pedal down > Solenoid click? > No > Go to Step 1 Control circuit > Key off > Voltage between battery B- and battery side of solenoid (it is 38.1) > Voltage between battery B- and controller side of solenoid > 0.5 - 2.5 Less than reference voltage? (I have 0.6 volts on this last check) > No > Same as reference voltage? > No > 0 voltage? (well not really, it's 0.6)
The manual IS saying that it should be 37.7 - 35.7 volts if I have a reference voltage of 38.2 - correct? At this point it says I need a new 250 Ohm resistor to proceed. If I don't hear otherwise, I suppose I'll head out in a few minutes to purchase the first resistor I've ever bought.
go EZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-03-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
go EZ
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZ GO diagnostic flowchart

All right then. I am coming right along in my self-taught electronics training. So far today, I learned how to test resistors, learned how they usually go bad, tested this one when I disconnected it from the solenoid and found that it was bad, found a supplier and now have a new one ready to go back on.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

okay... how did you test them?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:08 AM   #4
go EZ
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Used that neat little function of ohm testing on the multimeter. The resistor on the solenoid of my cart should be a 250 Ohm resistor and it went off the chart. I took the multimeter with me when I bought the new resistor and checked it at the counter and it was 250 exactly.
But alas, a king one moment and a fool the next. I went through the EZ GO tech manual flowchart until I got to the step where it says to check for the reference voltage at the green wire connection and red wire connection at the pedal microswitch. The results on the flowchart directed me to replace the switch. Prior to this, I was perusing the tech manual and saw where a backwards installation of the diode on the solenoid can cause damage to the pedal microswitch. I checked and lo and behold, the silver band on the diode was facing the black wires leaving one of the small terminals on the solenoid. Someone had evidently taken it off and put it back on backwards. So I turned it around prior to installing the new pedal switch.
I can almost feel the wind in my hair now, but it still wouldn't move and no solenoid click. The solenoid checks for not being welded together. I went through it real quickly late yesterday and found that I am now getting half reference voltages where I had full reference voltage previously like at the forward/reverse switch and other places. When I first put the multimeter on the connections, it reads about 20+/- volts and drops down to 17-16 volts over the period of a couple of seconds. Now I'm not even certain that the red and black wires are on the correct terminals of the solenoid (or that any other wire might be misplaced as well).
Old 08-04-2011, 08:16 AM   #5
go EZ
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

And the flowchart only gives 2 options - 1) Full Reference Voltage and 2) 0 Voltage.
Nowhere have I found a reference to half voltage.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:24 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Step away from the manual.....

Lets just make the solenoid work... first a good understanding of the solenoid is needed:
A quick overview of the solenoid is :
The solenoid is a HD on/off switch or Contactor
the connection is made /broken between the 2 large terminals. The 2 small terminals are the activation circuit. typically one terminal will have a constant negative connection to the pack. When Positive power is applied to the second small terminal the contact is drawn up against the spring to make contact. When power from either side of the activation circuit is removed then contact is released and the spring pushes it away interrupting the circuit ...It doesn't matter which small terminal is neg or pos on the activation circuit so long as you have both....

Now we see what we need to activate the solenoid, which part of the activation circuit is missing? The positive or negative?
Old 08-04-2011, 09:19 AM   #7
go EZ
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Key on, selector in Forward, pedal depressed - I have negative at the small solenoid terminal with the 2 black wires coming from it, but have no positive at the small terminal with the 2 red wires coming from it.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:56 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Positive present in and out of the peddle micro on the red(out) and green(in) ?
Old 08-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #9
go EZ
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

It is present on the green in and not the red out when the pedal is depressed. And when I depress the pedal, the positive disappears from the green in.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Remove the diode from the solenoid and repeat the test.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO