lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
Steve.B.Texas
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default High speed gears

I have a 2000TXT Series with new batteries. It has a 6 inch lift with 23 inch tires. It only goes about 12 mph. I'd like to get at least 20 mph outer it and still be able to use it for hunting.

I called my local ez go dealer and was told the most cost effective way would be to put in high speed gears.

Looking for opinions. How much would this kill my torque? Is there another cost effective way to get me to 20+ mph?
Steve.B.Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: High speed gears

A 2000 TXT with a series drive should get about about 14MPH on stock height tires and (mathematically) about 18 MPH on 23" tires, so changing the final drive ratio probably won't increase speed. In fact it may get slower.

It takes a lot of amps to turn tall tires, so you have to upgrade the the drive system to deliver more amps to the motor.

With 23" tires you need at least a 400A controller and a 500A would be better. (Stock controller is 275A)

To go along with the higher ampacity controller, the High Current Cables, Solenoid and F/R switch will need to be upgraded also.

Once the cart is running the way it ought to be 23" tire, the next step for getting more speed is typically upping the pack voltage to 42V or 48V.

Then the next step is changing the differential gear ratio.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Adding high speed gears to a cart that has 23" tires is not a great idea. You're motor will pull over 110 amps continuous which will kill your battery pack in a year or 2 (if it's in good shape). Even then I can't say for sure you get 20 mph out of it. I can't believe a dealer would recommend that.

Can you tell us a little more about your cart? Are your wires and f&r still stock? Controller stock also?

A stock cart is built for golf course work, carrying 2 people from hole to hole. Adding a lift and 23" tires are going to stress these components and they must be addresses properly if you want to be happy with the cart.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post

Then the next step is changing the differential gear ratio.
I have rode a cart with 23" tires and 6:1 HS gears (stock controller, 2 awg cables and HD f&r). It could not even climb a street curb from a stop. Poor decision to do gears instead of motor IMO. I would always recommend a motor upgrade vs. a gear swap, especially on a lifted cart.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
I have rode a cart with 23" tires and 6:1 HS gears (stock controller, 2 awg cables and HD f&r). It could not even climb a street curb from a stop. Poor decision to do gears instead of motor IMO. I would always recommend a motor upgrade vs. a gear swap, especially on a lifted cart.
I stand corrected.
Motor upgrade before Gears.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

My reasoning is with 23" tires AND high speed gears you essentially have a cart with ~39" tall tires. The poor stock motor has no chance of turning that much tire even with the high current system is perfect.

It's very possible that the motor upgrade (if everything else is up to the task) will provide the driver with all he wants in the cart and forget about gears altogether.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
Steve.B.Texas
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks everyone. I just swapped to 2 gauge cables. Looks like my next step is a 500 amp controller, etc. Can anyone point me in the direction of a package deal?
Steve.B.Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #8
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Call ScottyB

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Custom_Options.html
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO