lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-20-2013, 12:01 AM   #1
Fishercart
Not Yet Wild

Default Ezgo PDS solenoid or other possible issue

Hello fellas I am new to this site and joined in hopes that y'all can help me with fixing my new used gold cart. I became the owner of a 2001 ezgo PDS TXT when a lady needed some financial help and I needed to do a good deed to change my luck. The cart is a 36volt setup with as far as I know stock everything besides the lift kit and 22inch tires with 10" wheels. I have done several days of searching and haven't came across a post exactly like mine so here is the issues. When moving the cart at no matter what speed will shut off like the brakes have been pressed but when I let off the accelerator and press it again it runs for another few minutes then the same.it has never left me stranded just aggravating to drive. While checking to see if the cart had a chip I noticed the solenoid was extremely hot on the bigger post and wire. The cart does not have a chip and runs about 20mph. The buzzer has been removed from the cart so no chance of diagnosis mode. Is this simply a bad solenoid? Can I replace it with a stock solenoid or should I upgrade? I do not plan on replacing the controller being how they cost more than I paid for the cart. If the solenoid is the problem is there a chip I can buy to possibly reduce the heat because I really don't care about going fast mainly riding dirt roads on flat ground. Thanks in advance for any help. I have tried to include all the information I can if anything else is needed please let me know.
Fishercart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-20-2013, 02:07 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo PDS solenoid or other possible issue

Stock controller and solenoid? With oversize tires, it could be the solenoid or the controller. Do you have a DVM to make a few tests when its not working to see whats happening?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:57 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Welcome to BGW!

Sounds like you got a couple of problems. Overheating and unexpected shutdowns.

First and foremost, be sure to place the Run/Tow switch in the TOW position before connecting/disconnecting any wire or cable, or you'll be buying a controller.

With oversized tires, the motor will draw more amps and any cable, connection or contact that has any resistance in it will generate more heat.
Cleaning the connections on all the high current cables may help the heat issue, but if they are the original cables (going on 13 years old), they need to be replaced. Replace with a minimum of 4Ga cables.

Without a performance plug (Speed chip) in J2, the controller is in the Golf or All Terrain mode, which has a top speed of about 13.5 MPH on stock height tire (18") or about 17 MPH on 22" tires.

As for the unexpected shutdowns, you said the cart acted like the brakes had been pressed, so I suspect the controller is going into an emergency shutdown mode, which applies max regen braking until the cart is move at less than 2 MPH. That happens if the control voltages from the Reed switch, the Run/Tow switch, the Keyswitch or the F/R switch is lost, even for a split second.

You may have a loose or dirty connection to one of the switches.

You can duplicate the way the cart reacts to a momentary loss of a control signal by turning keyswitch off or by shifting the direction selector switch to neutral while driving the cart at speed.

--------
Of course, there are other possible causes to the problems.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:16 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

the other guys have answered your questions.....so with that, Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, wive's, husbands, girlfirends and boyfriends here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #5
Fishercart
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for your quick responses. Scottyb yes I do have a Dvm to check the solenoid and such. I believe it is the stock controller and solenoid it is a Curtis PDS controller and the solenoid doesn't have a brand. Do I need to check the solenoid after It brakes while moving or is anytime ok? Johnnie B yes I believe what you said about the dirty connection is right on. whoever had this before me was a champion with cutting twisting and electrical taping wires everywhere. I believe the reed switch wire was cut by the previous owner just cut not attached anywhere else. There is two small red wires coming out of the controller that are cut I belive one is the reed switch and one is the ??? both are coming out of the top center wire cluster. I will go through all of the switch connections and re check everything. Thanks again for the help and thanks Sir Nuke I believe I will be visiting the large fridge out back several times a day until I get this cart running like a champ.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Okay, when it won't go does the solenoid click when you press the gas?
The solenoid is a big on/off switch. The small wires on the two small posts activate the solenoid. One small post has positive wires on it, and the other small post as negative wires on it. When both positive and negative are present at the small posts the solenoid will engage and you'll hear the click.

The first thing to check is the battery pack at a standstill. We call this standing voltage. Then observed if your solenoid is clicking or not. Then recheck your battery pack voltage with the gas pedal depressed in the cart not going.

If the battery pack voltage remains close to standing voltage and the solenoid is clicking then we suspect the controller. To quickly test the controller but the test leads on the controller B- and A1 in any order. You should get the standing voltage reading when the solenoid clicks. Press the gas just far enough to get the solenoid click to get this reading, then watch the meter as you continue to push the gas pedal down. The meter reading should drop to near zero. If it does the controller is functioning correctly.

This will give you some place to start. I suspect you need to upgrade the controller, solenoid, and cables.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishercart View Post
........ I believe the reed switch wire was cut by the previous owner just cut not attached anywhere else. There is two small red wires coming out of the controller that are cut I belive one is the reed switch and one is the ??? both are coming out of the top center wire cluster.........
The voltage that was originally supplied by the reed switch has got to be coming from somewhere, or the cart won't run.

If the cart runs in both forward and reverse (when it isn't misbehaving) the only wire that can be cut and not connected by other means, is the wire that goes to the beeper

Basically, for the cart to run, pack voltage must be applied to all the wires highlighter in red on the attached schematic.

Momentarily interrupt the voltage on any of the red highlighted wires and the cart does a nosedive and won't start running again until the motor slows to about 500 RPM, which is about 2 MPH or 18" tires.

---------
What pins do the cut wires connect to? Pins 1 thru 5 are on the bottom row and numbered right to left.

Pictures showing the wiring would help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - PDS - Solenoid activation traced.jpg (69.7 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:44 PM   #8
Fishercart
Not Yet Wild

Alright I did some electrical test and here are my findings. The cart never stops completely and the solenoid always clicks. when it does stall like the brake is being pressed just as fast as you can let off the accelerator and press it again it takes off. After checking the solenoid the big post never show more than 1 volt even after the click. The smaller post show the standing voltage of 37 after the click.The Controller a1 and b- show 37 and as the cart starts moving goes down to around 25 hope this information helps.the cart runs in forward and reverse and I believe the beeper wire was cut plus the other red wire for the reed switch was attached to the large post closet to the batteries on the solenoid. Wire 5 the solid red wire on the bottom row farthest from the batteries is ran straight from the pin cluster to the Large post on the solenoid. I'm guessing this is the reed switch? Hopefully this will help figure out the solution. If anything else is needed please let me know.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:23 PM   #9
branson
Not here yet

E-Z-GO

I can't really help you so much with the technical part. but I helped a friend with the PDS start disable the buzzer by unplugging it. check behind the key switch and see if it's still there and maybe try to plug it back in if it is. I know for me it was more work to remove it then just unplug it
branson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:30 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It's beginning to sound to me like the solenoid is dropping out? (cutting power)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO