lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-14-2014, 09:40 PM   #1
Pawley
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Brake Upgrade Question

Thanks to this forum, I have managed to successfully make several upgrades to my PDS cart and now have the speed I was hoping to achieve. I will now rather easily exceed 30 MPH which gave me my next problem. All that speed along with the weight of 8 X 6v batteries plus passengers means I have trouble stopping this thing. I am looking at the disc brake kit that Scottyb shows on his website, but he gives fair warning that it will not fit with less than a 9.5 inch wheel. The photo below shows my wheels with a wrench that is exactly 9.5 inches long. It clearly is not 9.5 inches all the way in so I am thinking it may work with wheel spacers. To those of you that are using that brake kit, do you think it will work? Also, I like the idea of a wider stance as this cart doesn't feel that planted at the top end of it's capabilities.
Thanks for any feedback you guys can give me on this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OM005076.jpg (158.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg OM005077.jpg (139.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg OM005079.jpg (148.8 KB, 0 views)
Pawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-15-2014, 06:28 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Brake Upgrade Question

My TXT has standard drum brakes and will carry 4 people at 35+ MPH and lock them up. However, I have stock tires. Larger diameter tires are probably harder to stop. Longer lever arm.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:34 PM   #3
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
My TXT has standard drum brakes and will carry 4 people at 35+ MPH and lock them up. However, I have stock tires. Larger diameter tires are probably harder to stop. Longer lever arm.
You have very trusting friends.....
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:45 PM   #4
Pawley
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I have 9 batteries and my wife and I are both somewhat heavy (no she doesn't read this), but it would probably do better with a new set of brake shoes. They have never been great since I have owned the cart. I had a Club Car before this one with standard tires and it stopped very quickly.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:46 PM   #5
720Deere
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It gets a lot more difficult to "lock them up" with 23" tires. My stock brakes are in top shape and it still takes a lot of pedal effort to lock the wheels at 25 mph with 2 people. I'm not sure I can do it with 4 people.

If you can live with spacers, you may barely clear the Ausco brakes. Wider stance is definitely a good thing for stability. I can still hear the old Pontiac wide trac commercial in my head with the old Indian saying Wider is better!
720Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:59 PM   #6
Howard Montgomery
Not Yet Wild

The disc brakes will work with your rims. I see they are a 4" offset. You will like the stoping power. They will make a little noise at first until you get them broke in.
Howard Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:52 PM   #7
bxlt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I love my disc brakes, they are a little noisier then my drums but seeing as how I pretty much destroyed my drum brakes coming out of the "mountains" above my house the discs are a great improvement.
bxlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:35 PM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Ausco also makes a hd hub replacement kit that uses club car drums. May not be as good as the discs but they would fit..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:21 AM   #9
Pawley
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Update to my question about disc brakes:
I did order and installed the disc brakes this morning. The advice I was given was accurate as there were no issues with them fitting my 9.5 inch (inside Diameter) wheels. The installation would have been a breeze if one of my hubs had not been so difficult to remove. I finally had to cut one hub off and the other slid off with no issues. It took about 4.5 hours, but at least 2.5 were spent on the difficult hub. The instructions are very through and make it look more difficult than it actually is. It is a quality, well built, American made kit. I am still breaking them in, but my initial impression is that this is exactly what i was looking for. Highly recommended.
Thanks to all who responded to my question.
I should also mention that I ordered the brakes from Scottyb and he had the best price and they arrived a day earlier than expected.
Pawley
Old 09-25-2014, 11:46 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the feedback
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disc brakes
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO