lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-13-2020, 02:50 PM   #1
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Which RoyPow?

Really want to try and do the lithium battery in my cart (details are in my sig) and have a hook up that might make it "affordable". My question is which pack should I get? Club Car DS that has been completely stripped and is getting items in my sig added, including a new wiring harness.

I am really hoping to pull this off (I already have way too much into this cart so why stop now?!); thank you for any direction you can provide!
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-13-2020, 03:19 PM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Which RoyPow?

My only suggestion is to hold off on the Controller install until You decide on the lithium battery setup as it could affect how the Controller will be setup (Max current, Regen, etc).
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:19 PM   #3
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thank you, Sergio! Are you saying that I may not be able to use the controller I have (Curtis 126 or that I just need to decide if I am going lithium or not as it applies to the set up of the Curtis? Everything is still in boxes yet (I am waiting for a Spartan body and want it here before I start placing everything just to confirm clearances).

Any input on the unit? I suspect that I would want the S38105?

https://www.roypowusa.com/?page_id=26237
Old 08-13-2020, 06:36 PM   #4
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Sergio will give you a better answer but from what I have been reading ( I am interested in another build with lithium) is that the lithium batteries can’t handle huge amp draws off them as well as lead acid batteries. I don’t know much about the Curtis controllers but with an alltrax, for instance, you can control/adjust the max amp draws off the battery pack. On the positive side though you drop hundreds of lbs have longer run times and don’t have near the voltage drop that lead acids have. If you can get a deal get the highest Amp Hour pack you can afford.

Last edited by Jake_Daddy; 08-13-2020 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: More info
Jake_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:52 PM   #5
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

If I was gonna drop the money I would, at a minimum go 48V, and get either the S51105 or ideally the S51160. They have the 72v option which could produce some insane speed but IMO it’s too much for a daily driver. With enough road I can cruise around 30mph and it’s plenty fast on a golf cart.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:57 PM   #6
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks, Jake. I was semi set to run six 8's, so I was geared for 48V already but did not see that on the RoyPow page. I like the idea of less weight and no water, and in my pea brain I always figure if what I need costs X and what I want is X+, then the real cost is the +. If I really can figure out what I need to order and the delta is not that great (trouble is I get great prices on the FLA batteries also!) then I will grab the lithium.

Thank you again for your reply!
Old 08-13-2020, 08:17 PM   #7
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

In addition to the pros of lithium mentioned I think you should get near double the life span vs. FLA. I think that in itself is a big sell on lithium's and it sounds like a lot of people are doing well with the RoyPows with not to many problems. I am a tinkerer by nature, an engineer, and while building a battery pack would be neat its not my expertise and the rest of the build I would rather do on my own. The lithium AC conversion will be my next cart, probably 18-20" tires with no lift (or lowered) for a fun adult go kart! I just gotta prep my wife and wallet for it haha!
Old 08-13-2020, 10:28 PM   #8
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

I was wondering to myself earlier today if anyone ever bagged a golf cart :)
Old 08-14-2020, 01:54 PM   #9
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

spoken like a true gearhead. do it! it's gotta be easy with the motor attached to the axle. thou the front axle might be tricky. if i was an asphalt cruiser only, my cart would have 1 inch clearance from the ground
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:39 AM   #10
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Everything I own is geared for dirt (K5 Blazer, Jeepster, dirt bikes. 3 wheelers) and I have never had anything "lowered". I imagine that dropping a cart could be a lot of fun!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car