lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-15-2010, 09:53 AM   #1
dtkana
Gone Wild
Club Car

Unhappy Club Car IQ, Blowing Speed Sensor?

I have a 2004 Club Car IQ. Everything has been replaced except MCOR but, I did check the bushing for wear. Batteries, Cables, Controller, OBC are all new. I added a rebuilt High Speed Motor from a shop in Florida because my cart was slow, around 8 MPH. It changed nothing. The motor guy gave me a new speed sensor to try, changed nothing. I took it to the local Club Car dealer to have them check it out. It was set at speed setting 1 but just as the motor guy stated, it changed nothing to go to speed setting 3 as "his motors are not effected by the speed setting". I still don't understand how that works?

The dealer stated they kept getting a "speed sensor fault on the diagnostic hand held" They tried one of their new motors and same thing happened. After this they determined it has to be a controller problem, charged me for a speed sensor they blew while testing it and sent me on my way because I told them my controller was under warranty. They determined my controller is blowing the speed sensor. They stated once I get my controller replacement I will also need another speed sensor because mine is blown as well if in fact the controller is blowing them as they state. They never tried a different controller they just assumed it was the problem by process of elimination. The cart still works but only goes about 8 MPH.

The motor is supposed to work with the stock controller which is what I am using. No large tires or any aftermarket parts other than the motor.

Any Ideas?
dtkana is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-17-2010, 08:04 AM   #2
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car IQ, Blowing Speed Sensor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtkana View Post
I have a 2004 Club Car IQ. Everything has been replaced except MCOR but, I did check the bushing for wear. Batteries, Cables, Controller, OBC are all new. I added a rebuilt High Speed Motor from a shop in Florida because my cart was slow, around 8 MPH. It changed nothing. The motor guy gave me a new speed sensor to try, changed nothing. I took it to the local Club Car dealer to have them check it out. It was set at speed setting 1 but just as the motor guy stated, it changed nothing to go to speed setting 3 as "his motors are not effected by the speed setting". I still don't understand how that works?

The dealer stated they kept getting a "speed sensor fault on the diagnostic hand held" They tried one of their new motors and same thing happened. After this they determined it has to be a controller problem, charged me for a speed sensor they blew while testing it and sent me on my way because I told them my controller was under warranty. They determined my controller is blowing the speed sensor. They stated once I get my controller replacement I will also need another speed sensor because mine is blown as well if in fact the controller is blowing them as they state. They never tried a different controller they just assumed it was the problem by process of elimination. The cart still works but only goes about 8 MPH.

The motor is supposed to work with the stock controller which is what I am using. No large tires or any aftermarket parts other than the motor.

Any Ideas?
Call Plumquick and ask for Robby, (www.PlumQuick.com). Tell him what you've done and let him recommed a solution. The speed sensor is located on the back side of your motor and when Plumquick rebuilds a stock motor they trick the sensor and bypass the regen as well. What you'll get is faster than a Speed Code 4 using your stock controller as well as wiring.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:23 AM   #3
kennystractors
Not Yet Wild

The controller is bad.
The controller send signal to the motor, the speed sensor reads the motor signal, and sends back to the controller.
The programmer was used to determine that the cart was set at level one. It takes 2 second to bump up to a 3 and it doesn't cost anything. And it does matter where the controller is set with the rebuilt motor.
kennystractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:10 AM   #4
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennystractors View Post
The controller is bad.
The controller send signal to the motor, the speed sensor reads the motor signal, and sends back to the controller.
The programmer was used to determine that the cart was set at level one. It takes 2 second to bump up to a 3 and it doesn't cost anything. And it does matter where the controller is set with the rebuilt motor.
Sorry Kennystractors but you're wrong... Not with a PlumQuick rebuilt Motor!

You see if your speed sensor is bypassed there is no way for your controller to know how fast you're going and to pull back so to speak what it's original speed code was set for whether 1,2,3 or 4. Plumquick will be happy to explain it for you.

My personel cart's original controller was set to Code 3 and with stock motor and 22" tires would hit 20.1 MPH. When changed to Code 4 and 22" tires it hit 21.3MPH. Same controller with Purple PQ motor now does 26+MPH without trying, (28.1MPH best WOT,) and no Regen! Others carts we've built we just left the controller settings alone and still produce the same higher speed results when swapping out original motor with a PQ.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:31 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Scubba thanks for the tech info.
Please support our site sponsors when possible. They are the ones who are paying the bills here to keep this site going .......

Click on the site sponsor link above or go to the site below,

http://www.empinc.biz/
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:38 AM   #6
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Scubba thanks for the tech info.
Please support our site sponsors when possible. They are the ones who are paying the bills here to keep this site going .......

Click on the site sponsor link above or go to the site below,

http://www.empinc.biz/
You're right Scotty... there are many sponsers on this site that have quality rebuilt motors that can do the exact same thing! And not to hijack this thread but has any sponsor, (in light of all the LSV/NEV's coming into the market,) come up with a LSV upgrade package for CC, EZGO, etc.? Seat Belts, AS5 Windshield, Manual Wiper, Motor Upgrade, Left Side Mirror, Lights & Turn Signals, Horn, Slow Moving Vehicle Sign, Exterior Mirror, etc.? Nice one stop shopping to get a cart ready for DOT inspection? Just a thought...
Old 01-18-2010, 08:45 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

NO. I really wish they had..... I think the marketing division heads should roll at CC and Ezgo for NOT jumping on the LSV band wagon and providing such a cart and kits. NOW we have to deal with what I see will be a bunch of cheap carts from china.
PS
I can say that with confidence because I own a 2006 Fairplay. I don't se why you couldn't outfit one yourself for DOT inspection. Pay special attention to your tires and wheels as well .... CC made an NEV about 2003
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:01 AM   #8
scubabud

Club Car

I hear ya! I called my CC dealer and found that only a select few CC dealers were authorized to sell the CC LSV's and they weren't one of them. Time will sure be the case as to how these Imported LSV's will hold up. I'm very happy with my converted 06 CC Precedent which is now a 2009 ASPT titled and licensed in Florida LSV with full coverage insurance (Total cost to convert was just under $1,000 if you include the motor.)
Old 01-18-2010, 09:06 AM   #9
kennystractors
Not Yet Wild

I am familar with plumquicks work. It is a good product, that is why we all use them. But, not all motor rebuilders are the same.
Replace the contrller, you can get a used one with warranty for $125. Nowdays.
kennystractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:49 PM   #10
dtkana
Gone Wild
Club Car

Ok, I replaced the controller and I now have 15 MPH. Should I call the motor guy or what? Should I have the speed code changed even though he assured me it has no effect and that he has plenty of these out there doing 24 MPH with stock controllers regardless of the setting. What are the normal speeds for speed codes 1,2,3 and 4 for an IQ? Is it possible the speed sensor is bad? I did not replace it after I was told my controller was blowing them. I hate to pay $150 for a speed sensor when a whole high speed motor with sensor is $225.
dtkana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high speed motor, iq system, speed controller, speed sensor
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car