lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2011, 07:10 AM   #81
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

Default Re: "Early 90's EZGO - Needs a Rebuild"

bad looking piston. how was the cyl.? on the seat cover, is that a scottish plaid?
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2011, 08:29 AM   #82
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hahaha! Scooter McTavish is a pseudonym, and is sort of funny since I'm not of Scottish descent. However, my real name has some Scottish origin, but I'll share that story some other time.

Oddly enough, the cylinder looked fine - apparently the piston took the worst of this exchange, and it appears to have worn smooth on the cylinder. Honestly, with a rebore and an oversize piston I think the jug could be used again. Maybe even just a hone and some oversized rings might work.

Think that photo is the best sales tool ever used for premixing your gas/oil.

The vinyl my wife found at a second hand shop - the cart was originally going to be painted a metallic smoke, but I changed this to metallic brown after she bought the vinyl. Seem to be going through a bit of a retro phase right now - I even wore some Jack Nickalus-style green and white 70's polyester plaid pants out golfing last year.
ScooterMcTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #83
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

GAAARRGH!

Engine together, engine in - no circuit. Find a broken connector, go to truck stop to get more connectors - now we have circuit.

Battery is too weak - grab new battery and jump old. Cart turns over, but ARRRRGGGH! The belt from the starter/generator is too old, and can't turn the engine all the way over. It's not strong enough to get it through the top of the compression cycle, and the pulley on the end of it is spinning.

AARRRRGH!
Old 06-03-2011, 08:06 PM   #84
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

good news. sounds like great compression!
Old 06-03-2011, 08:22 PM   #85
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Way to spin it positive Madoc.

Thinking the parts manager at my local cart dealer starts salivating every time I send him an e-mail.

Oddly enough, had to put a fair bit of pressure on the reed valves to get them into the rebuilt jug - a lot lot less clearance on their topside. Think it actually pushed the retaining metal down a slight bit.

No issues though - enough tries in starting it, and saw gas/oil leaking out the exhaust port.

Elms have started to seed here, so I likely won't paint for at least a week. Be nice to get it running though....

BTW, what's the easiest way to get the belt off - I only took it off when I took the engine bolts out. Is there an easier way?

Last edited by ScooterMcTavish; 06-03-2011 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: Asking a pertinent question
Old 06-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #86
casper4203
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

To install the belt;
-first remove the drive belt by slipping it off the end of the clutch
-loosen the gen / starter mounting bolt underneath (3/4" socket and wrench I think)
-there is an exxpansion type push-rod between the genny and the engine block. From above loosen the jam nut and turn the threaded rod to shorten the rod
- the genny will swing towards the engine block and allow you to slip it off.
-more adjustment will be needed to get the fresh belt on
-then reverse but not too tight.
casper4203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:34 PM   #87
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Casper.

So, I've looked at your suggestion, and there is not separate bolts for the gen - it is a very long bolt going down the engine side of the gen, and would need to be pulled out in it's entireity to lever the genny towards the engine. That is, unless if I get it loose; does it have some play in the bracket?

Looking at this, I'm almost wondering if taking out 3 of the 4 engine bolts would be easier? Did anyone else have any different suggestions? Or am I reading your message wrong?
Old 06-05-2011, 07:04 AM   #88
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

casper has it right, tho it might be easier if the muffler is off. just loosen the long bolt, then the tension bolt and it will rotate forward.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00694.jpg (154.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00857.jpg (189.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00863.jpg (224.6 KB, 21 views)
Old 06-05-2011, 07:30 AM   #89
casper4203
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Hey Scooter,
Take another look. The bolt underneath is about the same length as the genny. It runs the same direcction as its axis. It pivots on this point.
Yeah the muffler is hiding most of all of this. The last time I did this, I was afraid to break the muffler bolts loose but it sounds like youv'e had yours off.
The jam nut is closer to the engine (on the adjuster bolt). The one closer to the genny is the one to turn to shorten the adjuster. It pushes the genny away from the engine -thus- tightening the belt.

Last edited by casper4203; 06-05-2011 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: spelling
casper4203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:02 AM   #90
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks guys,

Yup, the muffler is off, so I can clearly see the bolt, which is the one you both describe.

So it just needs to be loosened, the tensioner loosened, and I should have enough give? We'll have to give that a try today. Unfortunately, i am now well behind in tree pruning and weed whipping duties that I must attend to first!

Tags
am i crazy?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO