lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-09-2008, 12:53 AM   #21
phasetim
Just me. .

Club Car

Default Re: Help ! Low Torque at start...

Quote:
In my knowledge of solenoid function, it is normally open until switched on by a control circuit. The microswicth that operates that circuit is functioning properly i.e. no power flow until throttle is applied.
Does a cart solenoid normally have power to both side as this does? Secondly, shouldn't it should show that same voltage on both sides once it's engaged ?

Thanks for any help that you can offer.

The solenoid should have a resistor across it, which charges the speed controller's capacitor making for a nice smooth takeoff. The reading on the controller side should be a volt or two less than the battery side when not closed. When closed, however you should be getting full battery voltage, not reduced voltage. Which leads me to think one of two things..

Try this for me..

Jack a wheel up, put your multimeter on your battery positive and battery negative.. have someone push the pedal down with the key switch on, and the car in forward.. tell me what the voltage does.
phasetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-09-2008, 07:10 AM   #22
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

From what I read it sounds as if the selonoid has gone. 25 volts isn't right. I suggest with cart jacked up place a large gauge wire on the two selonoid terminals big ones and press the go pedal see if it has torqu and speed.
Another check to do.
Take the two small wires that run from the pot box to the controller loose and put your ohm meter on them. Check to see if you get 0 to 5k when you press the go pedal. The pot box may have gone bad or is out of range.

Here is the pot box: mine is modified so it want look exact but close enough to find it on the cart. Under the cover where the controller is.

The grey covered wires which run to the controller check these. They should be white & black.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:53 AM   #23
phasetim
Just me. .

Club Car

car runs, but does not take off fast, I've never seen a solenoid break in that manner..
phasetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:31 AM   #24
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Selonoid may not be letting full volts pass. I agree it's very unlikely, but it is electric. It should have 36 volts or whatever the charge is once the key and gas are on. I don't understand why it has no torque or speed though.
That's why I suggest checking the pot box also. If it got knocked out of cal it want have any speed.
These are hard to figure out without seeing the cart.

Phasetim,

The solenoid should have a resistor across it, which charges the speed controller's capacitor making for a nice smooth takeoff. The reading on the controller side should be a volt or two less than the battery side when not closed. When closed, however you should be getting full battery voltage, not reduced voltage. Which leads me to think one of two things..

Try this for me..

Jack a wheel up, put your multimeter on your battery positive and battery negative.. have someone push the pedal down with the key switch on, and the car in forward.. tell me what the voltage does.
Phasetim,
explain how the controller side of the selonoid has power to it. If it's open cart turned off why would it be a few volts less than battery side. If this is so it would run without a key or the gas pedal pushed! What am I missing here?
?
Old 01-09-2008, 08:48 AM   #25
Blue Chip
Gone Wild

So is the diagnostic check here for the solenoid simply to jack up the rear and jump the 2 large posts?
Blue Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:08 AM   #26
firewagon
Not Yet Wild

Ok. Couple of things.
First- Did the run check as Phasetim requested. Under wide open throtlle, meter showed 38.7 on both sides of the soleniod.

Second- Did the pot test as Andy4639 requested. When the meter is attached, it reads 4.6 ohms regardless of throttle position.

Next step??

I'll be going to Ga. today thru Sunday for last hunt weekend. Please think about this problem and I'll be back on Monday.
Thanks for the help so far.
firewagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:11 AM   #27
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Sounds like your pot box bit one. No pedal it should read 0. At wide open it should read 5000 or 5k whichever you perfer.
One more thing before we say it's gone. Check the arm on the pot box and make sure it's attached good to the shaft of the pot box. It may just be slipping on the shaft. There should be a screw that holds it in place.
Here are a couple of close ups of the pot box and set screw.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:17 AM   #28
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Don't pay this no attenching trying to see if picture works.

Here is a closer shot of it.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:22 PM   #29
BCW
Gone Wild

Thanks Guys,
I hope he gets to check the Pot box before he leaves this evening
to Ga. if not we'll have to wait till his return .

BTW, what is a pot box , Im trying to learn the different terms and names
but its going real slow for me LOL..

BCW
BCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:40 PM   #30
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

The real name is Potentiometer other wise know as a Pot Box for short.
He didn't mention anything about the wheels turning or how fast they moved. BCW, did he say anything to you about it.
If the P/B is only reading 4.6 Ohm's no matter what it's not sending a signal to the controller and the controller thinks the cart is almost at wide open throttle this would make the no torque ? answered. It also say's the carts not going to top speed maybe either. In a perfect world 5000Ohm's would be wide open throttle.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO