lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-09-2011, 07:10 PM   #11
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Running Accessaries off Key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2merckx View Post
Todo, I did try that. I also downloaded image and tried opening in another viewing program. Just got a little to blurry to really make out some of the things.

Anyway, PM sent with my email.
Sent jpg's and pdf's......
todo_brane_ded is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-09-2011, 08:35 PM   #12
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Question Re: Running Accessaries off Key.

Quote:
Andy, I am liking that idea. Just so I am clear though, the solenoid coil is voltage specific. For example I can not use an old 36v solenoid with a 48v pack to trigger solenoid 12v system?
You could use it. It may last a day it may last a month it may last forever who knows. I have used 36 volt solenoids on 48 volt carts with no problem. You could hook a 12 volt coil up to the swtch if you wanted to. As long as the ground is ran to the 12 volts of the pack.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:49 PM   #13
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
You could use it. It may last a day it may last a month it may last forever who knows. I have used 36 volt solenoids on 48 volt carts with no problem. You could hook a 12 volt coil up to the swtch if you wanted to. As long as the ground is ran to the 12 volts of the pack.
There's absolutely no reason not to use an appropriately sized (36v or 48v) solenoid as a simple switch controlled by the ignition switch in an EZ as it is wired to date (PDS).....

Just beware of the aforementoned "drop-out" problem when switching to reverse.

edit- I just remembered that relays, large ones such as solenoids have a minimum, yes minimum....current that is guaranteed. Low currents, such as a only a couple amps, may not be enough to keep the contacts clean and clear from oxidizing and the switch may become intermittant or fail all together....it needs the arcing....

High amp switches and relays (contactors) need high currents to keep the contacts clean....

Last edited by todo_brane_ded; 04-09-2011 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: just remembered....
Old 04-09-2011, 11:16 PM   #14
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

K2, make your life easy and go buy the 4 pole switch. Factory setup had the ignition run circuit in the first position and the lights in the second. Just through a brain wiff, I thought or reversing that sequence and making the aux the first position and run the second.. They are two different circuits and don't care what the voltage is. I would put a relay on the 12vt side just in my opinion..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:09 AM   #15
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
K2, make your life easy and go buy the 4 pole switch. Factory setup had the ignition run circuit in the first position and the lights in the second. Just through a brain wiff, I thought or reversing that sequence and making the aux the first position and run the second.. They are two different circuits and don't care what the voltage is. I would put a relay on the 12vt side just in my opinion..
Frankly, this is probably the easiest and best way to do this.....as long as the switch has two independent circuits and they are both ON when you turn the key.

I used relays in my design because the Ignition Switch I used was one that's used in motorcycles and has a nice round key. Unfortunately I could only find it with one set of contacts.....If I could've got the same key switch with two sets of contacts (and I'm sure they're out there) I wouldn't have used the relays, or at least not three of them in series...They only had 2-position and three position switches in this style...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 250.jpg (7.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 04-10-2011, 12:18 PM   #16
K2merckx
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by todo_brane_ded View Post
Frankly, this is probably the easiest and best way to do this.....as long as the switch has two independent circuits and they are both ON when you turn the key.

I used relays in my design because the Ignition Switch I used was one that's used in motorcycles and has a nice round key. Unfortunately I could only find it with one set of contacts.....If I could've got the same key switch with two sets of contacts (and I'm sure they're out there) I wouldn't have used the relays, or at least not three of them in series...They only had 2-position and three position switches in this style...
Todo that is the same key I have but with a three position Switch. I also looked for the 4 terminal round key switch and could not find one anywhere. So I think your relay idea is great and may be using it.
K2merckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:16 PM   #17
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Here's what I do:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/membe...schematic.html
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #18
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Yurtle, although it's functional the scheme you show has an unbalanced load distribution as well as some unneccessary parts.

Your load on B3/B4 with (2) H/L's and the power outlet (12V).

B1/B2 has the Neon, Wig Wag?, and the dome light......

B5/B6 has only the radio......

The bulk of the load is on B3/B4 and the batteries will discharge unevenly, and likely will charge unevenly when restoring the charge.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:48 PM   #19
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Todo that is the same key I have but with a three position Switch. I also looked for the 4 terminal round key switch and could not find one anywhere. So I think your relay idea is great and may be using it.
Yeah, I had a choice to make and I made it. I'm a tech-geek so the added complexity didn't bother me. The relays and the sockets are dirt cheap if you know where to buy them.....

Just some more wiring/soldering...

Definitely would've used a "4 position" key switch if I could have gotten one like mine with the round keys....
Old 04-10-2011, 08:26 PM   #20
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by todo_brane_ded View Post
Yeah, I had a choice to make and I made it. I'm a tech-geek so the added complecity didn't bother me. The relays and the sockets are dirt cheap if you know where to buy them.....

Just some more wiring/soldering...

Definitely would've used a "4 position" key switch if I could have gotten one like mine with the round keys....
Could you use zener diodes to step the voltage down to a single 12vt relay ? Would be very little load on the coil.. Just wondering..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO