lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-13-2011, 06:45 PM   #1
crustyo44
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Field coil trouble GE 2 1/2 hp motor series

Hi,
I have inherited two '91 EZGO X444 golf carts with motors that have the fieldcoils screwed off at the stud end. Both motors are GE. 2 1/2 hp. Series.
Are there any secondhand or new fieldcoils available for these motors, or is there a way of repairing them.
The ends of the fieldcoils are now way to short to actually repair them or is there a way of doing this, by adding some copper strip to lenghten the ends.]
Thank you.
Best Regards,
Jan.
crustyo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-13-2011, 10:17 PM   #2
72volt_ezgo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Field coil trouble GE 2 1/2 hp motor series

Hey Jan!

I don't know your skills and comfort level of repairing but...
If I was to attempt this repair,I would look if there is any room in there to attach some kind of copper bus bar to the broken field winding and insulate the point of repair?

I'm thinking if the coil is wound with the flat or rectangle cross section copper wire,then maybe there is a way to drill it through and use a small bolt and nut to attach the lengthening piece? I'm just brainstorming here.

Of course the right thing to do would be to rewind it with new wire but that's a little more work and that wire is probably not cheap plus the hassle of finding/ordering it etc. Just my approach without seeing it so I could be way out of the ballpark here : )

Hopefully people with experience in this will chime in!
72volt_ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:44 AM   #3
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Wink Re: Field coil trouble GE 2 1/2 hp motor series

Send them to PQ for repair. In the long run it will be cheaper!
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO