lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #1
reinman88
Gone Wild

Default Does this look right

Started cleaning all the connections on my 78 to see if I could get a little more speed or power. Was cleaning connections at the resistors and wondered if this is right, or could this be part of my problem. The bottom two seemed flattened out some, and I notice they are both smaller.

Would this have an affect on how the cart runs, or is it no big deal?

Edited to add.

Looking closer, does the bottom one even connect at both ends of the coil? I'll have to go back and look at the cart again, but in the picture I can't see both ends connecting like I can with the other three.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2142.JPG (200.5 KB, 41 views)
reinman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Does this look right

You need to take all those toaster coils out and replace them with a speed controller

Make sure the bottom coil is not bent up and touching coil loop to coil loop?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
reinman88
Gone Wild

Quote:
You need to take all those toaster coils out and replace them with a speed controller
So that would give me more speed and power? Not sure I want to spend too much upgrading such an old cart.

Quote:
Make sure the bottom coil is not bent up and touching coil loop to coil loop?
I'll take a look and make sure none are touching.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Talking Re: Does this look right

Coils,
Yes they are connected. You should be able to get a stock controller for it pretty cheap. It want win no races but it will be 100 times more efficient than what you have now.
Look for late 80's early 90's E-Z-GO's to swap with. Get everything out of the cart you can.

Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
reinman88
Gone Wild

So a late 80s early 90s controller will work. I assume it's an easy install, so those of us that are mechanically challenged will be able to do it.

If it will make the cart better I'd be willing to give it a go and see what I get.

Thanks for the help. Of course if I get a controller I'll probably be back looking for installation help.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #6
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Does this look right

It's pretty easy install. You just need to know what parts you get. If you go with a aftermarket kit or a factory stock. I have bought 3 whole packages with everything you see in the picture above from a guy I know locally for less than $200 each. The one in the picture was a 400 amp controller which I sold to Superman on the PQ site for his Davis cart.
This is the only one I have ever seen that runs.
I went to the campground and helped him finish it up that afternoon.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:36 PM   #7
reinman88
Gone Wild

So basically I could start with just a stock used controller, or stock new controller to replace my resistor coils. Then if I wanted to expand from there I could.

Since this cart is old and I'm not sure how much use it will get, I'm using this one as more of a learning tool. If I like the electric end, I'll look for a newer cart later this year or next spring. That's the cart I'd be willing to stick some money in.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:51 PM   #8
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Does this look right

Quote:
So basically I could start with just a stock used controller, or stock new controller to replace my resistor coils. Then if I wanted to expand from there I could.

Simply put...YES!
Once you have put the controller in the cart it will be like having a 57 Chevy with new 2011 Corvette running gear in it. Well you would have to put new batteries as well I guess to get the Corvette feel!!!
Old 05-07-2011, 10:01 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I just recently converted an 85ish Ezgo Marathon (with a western body) from resitor coils like yours to 1990 marathon speed control. You will need to have the mounting for the controller and Potentiometer. Commonly referred to as the bucket. It is a square bracket. I just welded an old bucket in the center after tearing all the old Speed wiper control out. I did need to extend the throttle about 5 inches. I used an old Alltrax AXE control and stock Curtis PB-16, new micro-switch.... that was it. LOL done in a few hours with old stuff laying around. These are pretty simple conversions. Like ande says 'you will love it' I think I have a pic ~ I'll attach it when I find it....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4644.jpg (182.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4645.jpg (164.9 KB, 26 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO