lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-29-2011, 10:56 PM   #1
ChadJohnson
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default How to add 1-2 toggle switches in the controller box and still have it water tight

First off, if this is in the wrong section, I apologize.

Okay so basically here is what I am wanting to achieve:
I have a 2004 EZ-GO PSD electric golf cart.
Sometimes I want the freedom chip capability, and sometimes I would love to have the steep hill or mild hill capability.
Based on the diagram I will provide below, I am assuming that creating a steep hill or mild hill chip from a freedom chip would not be difficult at all.
All you would have to do is snip the correct wires.
If you snip the wires and then add toggle switches to the ends (like a light switch basically), then you could achieve any of the optional chips just by flipping the switches.

I know how detrimental it would be for the controller to get wet, so how could I cut through the controller box and then make it water tight once again with a switch hanging out of it, (like the switch that is for tow/run mode), because I assume that getting the switch wet would also fry the controller.

ChadJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2011, 08:05 AM   #2
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: How to add 1-2 toggle switches in the controller box and still have it water tigh

Its not that critical about water but they make rubber covers for toggle switches. after you install it then instead of a small nut on the outside to hold it you put the rubber cover on it. Check out some marine supply shops they generally keep these in stock.
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:10 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: How to add 1-2 toggle switches in the controller box and still have it water tigh

Or use silicone.
P.S.
You will need to toggle (cycle) the run/tow on/off before the selected chip mode takes effect.
So flip you switch from high to low and then cycle the run/tow toggle and now you are good to go.... have fun.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:44 PM   #4
ChadJohnson
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Its not that critical about water but they make rubber covers for toggle switches. after you install it then instead of a small nut on the outside to hold it you put the rubber cover on it. Check out some marine supply shops they generally keep these in stock.
But what kind of switch would you use?
Old 05-30-2011, 10:46 PM   #5
ChadJohnson
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Exclamation Re: How to add 1-2 toggle switches in the controller box and still have it water tigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Or use silicone.
P.S.
You will need to toggle (cycle) the run/tow on/off before the selected chip mode takes effect.
So flip you switch from high to low and then cycle the run/tow toggle and now you are good to go.... have fun.
right but what kind of switch could i use with silicone, seems like this might be the easiest and cheapest but not best looking way.
probably the way im leaning towards.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:50 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I use any HD 20a toggle switch... the more plain and simple the longer it will last. I stay away from all the lighted toggles just because I want serviceability first and most importantly..... P.S. I don't silicone them...
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:55 PM   #7
ChadJohnson
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Exclamation Re: How to add 1-2 toggle switches in the controller box and still have it water tigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I use any HD 20a toggle switch... the more plain and simple the longer it will last. I stay away from all the lighted toggles just because I want serviceability first and most importantly..... P.S. I don't silicone them...
where could i get something like that? price?

P.S. i believe this is the either 2 or 3 post of mine you have REALLY helped me out on and quickly too, i really appreciate it. its people like you who make things a lot easier on everyone else and who keep sites like this alive.
Thanks!

edit: i figured it out, i thought hd was a brand, didnt think heavy duty, and i figured out what switch and cover to buy. seems like it will be very easy.

Tags
1-2 toggle switches, box water tight, how to add, in the controller
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO