lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
JohnBG
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Inherited a beat up EZ Go - Where do I start?

I "inherited" an EZ Go 36V golf cart from work that has been sitting in the back warehouse about 2 years. I work for an electrical company and it was a cart our installers used on a large jobsite and didn't take very good care of. The boss wants to clean up the warehouse and he says if I tote it off, it's mine, so the price is right...

It's got 2 flat tires and I think the batteries are dead. It looks like the installers attempted some kind of jerry rig using copper instead of battery cables...

I would like to try and get it running again but I'm not sure where to start. I don't have a lot of money to spend on this project.

Not even sure what year or model it is. Where do I find the serial number plate?

Here's a few pictures:

It appears to be a 36V system as there are 6 6-volt batteries under the seat, but they look to be in pretty bad shape. I haven't had a chance to put a meter on them to check the voltage. But it looks like they need a cleaning, some new cables and a charging, if not replacement.

When I put it in reverse I can hear the back-up buzzer so there is some voltage there somewhere. Other than that it's a "no va" (won't go).

There is a charger that comes with it, but it looks like our installers removed the lid thinking it doesn't work. I'll bet they ran the batteries down to dead and the charger won't work without some juice in the batteries, right?

I will have it home later this week and have more time to dig into it over the weekend.

Where is the best place to start with figuring out what I have and figure out what is working and not working?

Is there a good way to "revive" old batteries? I have read some stuff on the internet about adding epsom salt to the batteries, does that work?

Thanks in advance for helping a clueless noob...

I run a forums site for Russian motorcycles and help a lot of noobs, so maybe it's time for my karma to kick in and be the noob for a chage...
JohnBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Inherited a beat up EZ Go - Where do I start?

have a pic of the frt. end/ it looks a medalist or txt type. same innards, but the medalist has a metal front end. the numbers you need are in the right glove box. the last to digits are the year. sort of looks like a gxt 804. you will need a minimum of new cables. they should be at least 4ga. welding wire. replace all 13. the batterys can be filled with distilled water and put on a regular 12v charger two at a time. doubt they are good tho. you have a serial motor. a good one to build on.

welcome to BGW
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
AggressiveBuggy
Getting Wild

Finally....somebody Noobier than me, so maybe I can help with the easy stuff. Yup...36volt cart if there are 6-6volt batteries....this is the standard for your year EZ Go. You can find out the year with the first two digits on the metal tag in the passenger side glove box area.

You are correct, the auto charger (which you have) will not kick on until the batters are up to a certain voltage. I usally disconnect the two main wires, then removed battery cables so that I leave the batteries in 3 packs of 2 batteries (or 12 volts). Thank charge for an equal period of time and then reconnect all wires and plug in auto charger. It will be delayed a few seconds before it kicks on.

No proven way to revive the old batteries. If they end up holding a charge you can pour baking soda on them and I usually rinse them off. After a full charge make sure they are filled to just below the top of the vent tube with Distilled water.
AggressiveBuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Welcome !!!

First off look at the neg battery post should be a letter and a number lets say like D6,, that would mean the batteries were new in April of 2006. Most likely the batteries are toast, I would not waste your time with the trying to fix your batteries, get some new ones you will be glad you did in the end. Look in the passenger side glove box for a plate if not there look behind the batteries for a white sticker it will have some information. You have a TXT series cart 36V.
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:22 PM   #5
JohnBG
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by madoc1 View Post
have a pic of the frt. end/ it looks a medalist or txt type. same innards, but the medalist has a metal front end. the numbers you need are in the right glove box. the last to digits are the year. sort of looks like a gxt 804. you will need a minimum of new cables. they should be at least 4ga. welding wire. replace all 13. the batterys can be filled with distilled water and put on a regular 12v charger two at a time. doubt they are good tho. you have a serial motor. a good one to build on.

welcome to BGW
No metal plate or numbers in either of the glove boxes... They must have got yanked...

It has a plastic or fiberglass front end. It's up against the garage door so I cant get a good picture.

Looking at the manual link in the sticky posts at the top of the forum, it appears to be a Non-DCS model.

Here's some more pictues:

Old 06-01-2011, 02:23 PM   #6
JohnBG
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggressiveBuggy View Post
No proven way to revive the old batteries. If they end up holding a charge you can pour baking soda on them and I usually rinse them off. After a full charge make sure they are filled to just below the top of the vent tube with Distilled water.
Crap!

I understand the batteries for these buggers are kinda pricey...
Old 06-01-2011, 03:17 PM   #7
LakeNut
Not Yet Wild

Looks like the installers decided that at least one or two of the batteries were toast, and bypassed them.. Taking 6 or 12 volts out may have been enough to prevent the charger from working. Also, if they have not been charged for a couple of years all those batteries are most likely toast.
LakeNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:29 PM   #8
csport
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Wow, somebody that inherited a worsererer one than Me-

Welcome- The Folks around here are great! you can learn a lot, And when they tell you stuff, believe them,, they all seem to have found out through trial and error-

I have learned more on here than all the manuals that were supposed to help me!

and WOW, I thought I had gerry rigged some stuff-
csport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:03 PM   #9
CART-ZILLA
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It looks awesome to be free..... and if you had to spend a little bit of money on it so what... is better than buying a new 1.......
CART-ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:03 PM   #10
JohnBG
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I put a meter on three of the batteries I could reach and they were reading 2.5 to 3 volts.

That don't sound like a good thing...

When I do get this thing home I guess the first order of business would be to pull the batteries, clean them, test them and see if they will hold a charge...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO