lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2008, 09:05 AM   #21
hawgs
Getting Wild

Default Re: Need New Batteries - What brand?

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, everyone. I guess this is a touchy subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdstr158 View Post
new to this site but right up my alley. I work for a bettery distributor in myrtle beach delivering golf car batteries. We sell both trojan and exide and a trojan t 875 will give a runtime of about 15 min more than an exide. If you have to choose and money is a little tight at least stay with the exide but your best bet is the trojan. Also trojans come with an 18 month warrenty versus the 12 month exide. well worth the money. And yes you said it exact, maintenance is the key. Whatever you go with be sure to charge them first then add water, if you do this in reverse it will boil the water out and lose years of runlife.
I've heard, on this site and others, that Exide makes golf cart batteries for Napa... so Napa batteries are just rebranded Exides. Any truth to this?

If Exide = Napa and Napa = $114 compared to $140 for T-875... that might end up working better for me. Still exploring options. Thanks for all the advise everyone has given thus far... I really appreciate it.
hawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-01-2008, 09:13 AM   #22
azboo
Super Moderator

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgs View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions so far, everyone. I guess this is a touchy subject.

I've heard, on this site and others, that Exide makes golf cart batteries for Napa... so Napa batteries are just rebranded Exides. Any truth to this?

If Exide = Napa and Napa = $114 compared to $140 for T-875... that might end up working better for me. Still exploring options. Thanks for all the advise everyone has given thus far... I really appreciate it.

No, not a touchy subject at all. Just when someone new comes on here and in the span of afew posts, suggests that not only are we financially superior, but also UNFRIENDLY... well, it just isn't so. This is by far the friendliest cart forum around, with good, caring people and it's unjustified for someone so new to make these assumptions about us. This guy could have posted in any thread and gotten the same reaction. He had no basis for his premature judgement of any of us.

Boo
azboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:28 AM   #23
hawgs
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by azboo View Post
No, not a touchy subject at all. Just when someone new comes on here and in the span of afew posts, suggests that not only are we financially superior, but also UNFRIENDLY... well, it just isn't so. This is by far the friendliest cart forum around, with good, caring people and it's unjustified for someone so new to make these assumptions about us. This guy could have posted in any thread and gotten the same reaction. He had no basis for his premature judgement of any of us.

Boo
That's true and good point. I've found this site very helpful and friendly thus far... but then again, I haven't had the urge to look around elsewhere for a board to compare it to, no need to.
hawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:36 AM   #24
Swartz
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I'm new to the forum, but I have heard good things abour Crown batteries. I bought some this year for a 36 volt CC and only time will tell if I got a good deal or not. I figured for $85/pc, it was worth the gamble vs the trojan T105's
Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:30 PM   #25
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

I bought my batteries through a friend in the lift truck repair business. They are GC batteries, white cases with pretty red tops, no labels, no ratings. They are 6 years old now, voltage and SG are spot on. I am a bit anal about their care. Cheap batteries CAN work well, but they're not for everyone.....
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:53 PM   #26
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

Have bought crown batteries at the factory for blems (case scratched, uneven color, ect) they are cheep $50 range but they don't always have. The next cheep set would be sams club, the interstate from dealer who lets me have at cost. Check around you may be suprised what you find.
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:35 PM   #27
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Crowns are proven good over here. Of course, not as good as Trojan.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:08 PM   #28
cwayaustx
Gone Wild
Club Car

I know everyone will probably laugh at me, but I run 4 big yellow marine deep cycle MAX 12volts currently ($400). Surprisingly I get excellent run time and about 19 miles an hour and decent torque on a completely stock setup. I drive her hard, seven days a week probably 6 solid hours of the day and if I get a day or two off then it really get driven hard by the kids. I generally charge it every evening, and charge them independantly to keep them equalized. They do require more maintenance but a few weeks back a coworker thought it would be funny to shut the breaker off and since I keep my charger in stand/enclosure I was none the wiser. The middle of the fourth day it seemed kinda slow, later that day I decided to go through thickest part of the mudhole and she petered out as I was climbing out. Now Granted these batts are only 4 months old, I am positive they won't keep this up for long but I can't complain yet. I will be buying 8 six volts in a week or two, I finally made up my mind and will order a "beast" on monday and there is no way they will hold up then. Now if I could only decide which controller to get????
cwayaustx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:58 PM   #29
cheatachip
Not Yet Wild

anyone have any input on continental batteries?

I have 6 6 volt continentals on the way from our local supplier for my 1994 club car.

CHARGE BEFORE ADDING THE FLUID????!!!!!!! CAN SOMEONE ELABORATE ON THIS?
cheatachip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:59 PM   #30
impalass88
Gone Wild

Club Car

Just some facts for everyone.

Top 3 batteries (all fairly equal):
1.US Batteries (or Interstate because they are rebadged US Batteries)
2.Crown (Thickest plates in the industry, highest amp hour rating)
3.Trojan

Worst batteries (cheap, not known for longevity or high capacity):
1.Energizer
2.NAPA
3.Exide
4.Sam's Club
This makes sense since all these batteries are made by Johnson Controls. I guess Johnson hasn't figured out how to duplicate the high quality deep cycle batteries like US, Crown, and Trojan.
5.Deka

Another player is Superior battery (Superlex). Have heard some good info but not enough to recommend.

Whichever you choose be sure to break them in properly and keep them fully charged. Good maintenance is the key to getting the most life out of any battery last no matter how much they cost.
impalass88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car