lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
lampooner1
Not Yet Wild

Default Question about charging

I am relatively new to carts, so question may sound a little dumb.

Does it make any differemce if I plug the charger into the cart first, then into the 110 AC outlet? Or can I plug charger into 110 AC first then into the cart. The cart is a 2009 Prededent.

Because of where I park cart in relation to charger and 110 AC outienentlet it would be easier.
lampooner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Question about charging

the only dumb questions are the ones not asked......this is what i have been told and have done for years......when your gonna charge plug your charger into cart 1st and then into power outlet...when done unplug at outlet 1st and then from cart.....................thats how i do it.......................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

My charger stays plugged into the outlet at all times. Right next to where I park my golf cart. So when I park and want to charge I just reach over and plug it into the cart. I really don't think it makes a difference either way. BUT I have always plugged into the outlet and then into the cart.

CartTrader
CartTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
Golfdog
Gone Wild

Thats the way the manual "suggests". Power outlet first then car, although it seems to be immaterial, a case of horses for courses.
Golfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #5
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

. . . no power at the dc plug of charger until obc turns on the charger . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
btysinger
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

not a bad question at all. i have a similiar question. does it matter if you plug the charger in right after a long ride or is it better to wait until things have "cooled down."
btysinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

AC wall outlet first always. Then cart. The new (2007+) PowerDrive3 chargers wont work at all unless you do it in the correct order.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #8
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If your charger relay has been jumped, you will get an arc at the 120V outlet and at the carts receptacle when you plug it in. Other than that scenario, it makes no difference! At a golf course all the chargers sit on racks, and are continuously plugged in to the 120V outlets.
If your charger is jumpered ( for some reason ), I would plug it into the cart first, as you wouldn't want any arc near the batteries! The whole reason for the delay in the charger starting is so there is no arc at the charge receptacle!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:31 AM   #9
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i have to agree i,m not sure what difference it makes if any except for what tahoe said about newer carts.....but plugging into ac power 1st seems backwards.....if something were wrong and you plugged into ac 1st then at cart lets just say a surge of power blows up a battery???? your right there in blast zone however if you do it the other way you may not be in the zone.......i know i know i,m just throwing it out there.....but it does seem backwards................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #10
mattneedsmiles
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hey everyone. New member, new cart owner and apparently doing all the wrong things (according to some). Any help offered would be greatly appreciated.

I recently purchased a 2006 (Dec) Club Car Precedent which appears to be very much unused. Not having researched cart buying before buying the cart, I was told (and believed) that the batteries that came with the cart (AGM) were top notch and an improvement over typical wet batteries. I have found AGM batteries are discussed in a variety of areas here at BGW. And while there are certainly arguments related to efficiency, cost, etc; most of you seem to prefer wet cells, but most of the experts on here seem to say that AGMs do work just fine. The cart also came with a PowerDrive 3 charger.

So here's the problem... I took delivery of the cart, was told the batteries were charged overnight and were good to go for the events we had planned to attend that day. Drove the cart about 3 miles continuously and then home. Was told it is always good to keep the cart on the charger when not in use. Plugged the charger into the wall and then into the cart. The charger seemed to be working (for all of 30 seconds) until something popped and the humming stopped. I noticed the fuse on the front of the PD3 had popped out. I unplugged everything and started over. The charger started up again, lasted for about 45 seconds this time and popped (again). Tried to call ClubCar to get support. They quickly redirected me to my nearest "Authorized Club Car service center." I couldn't get this location to answer the phone, so I drove down there with my PD3 charger in hand.

After reading about the PD3 charger on BGW it sounded like my problem was a bad diode (and an easy fix). The folks at the "Authorized Club Car service center" were very quick to tell me that "gel" batteries are garbage and that there's nothing wrong with my PD3. They even hooked it up to a battery pack to prove this. It charged just like normal. I tried to explain that my batteries were not "gel" rather AGM. They didn't want to hear it, or be bothered.

My next thought was to test my cart/batteries with a different charger. I borrowed a PowerDrive (not 3, just simply a PowerDrive) from a friend. My friend has an older model DS. His charger worked great, completing the cycle in a matter of hours and did not blow a fuse. I compared the PowerDrive specs to the PowerDrive3 specs. The standard PowerDrive has a slightly higher Amperage it seems. Is it possible my batteries are running down further than the PD3 can handle bringing them back to full? I kept his charger for a few days, trying to create different scenarios. Ironically, I was able to charge the batteries successfully with my PD3 charger, but only after giving the batteries a full charge with my friend's PD charger and then driving the cart for a very short distance. Less than .5 mile. My thought was that since the batteries had not been run down very far, the PD3 was then able to handle the charge.

Finally, I took my cart to the Advance Auto nearby and requested they test the batteries. They all show as "good" with 12.7 or 12.6. But I did notice the remaining % was uneven at 63, 65, 70 and 71 percentages. Shouldn't the batteries be depleting by roughly the same amount?

Thoughts, suggestions, questions? Have I forgotten to mention anything pertinent for troubleshooting?

Thanks,
Matt
mattneedsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car