lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #1
cphilip
Getting Wild

Default Sounds like its boiling.

First time I have seen anything like this out of the cart was today.

I went to get it out to use it. Haven't used it in a week. Found it in charge mode. Its always plugged in but never still charging when I go back for it days later.

Could hear bubbling batteries as I approached the cart. Never have caught it recharging in the past. Last time I used it I am sure it went through its normal charge check process normally. I always stay with it until it to does that.

Things were mighty warm down in there. And wet too. A good bit of moisture around. More than normal I think. Not much on the floor under the cart though. Dry down there. And I could hear it bubbling. One area in particular was louder than the rest. I checked all the batteries for fluid level and they were still well up there from the last time I filled them. Which hasn't been too long back. Maybe 6 weeks?

I disconnected the charger, which was at about half needle swing when I did so and I then ran the cart a bit using it as normal. Even took a little longer ride with it after that to give it a fair discharge. Nothing too long because of time constraints though. The cart ran like normal. Good power and speed. Put the cart back up and plugged in the charger and it went through its check cycle normally. When it finished "rebooting" it went to full charge and it almost seemed some bubbling started almost immediately. I don't recall it going to full tilt meter swing in the past but could be mistaken. I left it alone for about two hours and then checked it again. It should have completed charge by then from my experience with what little I ran it. But it hadn't. It was down to half needle position and still bubbling away. All warm and sweaty under there. And the charger was pretty warm too. I don't see this as normal and don't believe I ever saw it before.

It seems something is wrong here so I just unplugged it all and came to you guys before I fry my batteries or something.

The cart stays inside a shed when not in use. The shed is not climate controlled but clean and dry. And the batteries always gets distilled water fills. There is a tad tiny bit of corrosion on a couple of cable ends but nothing too narly or excessive. Nothing out of the ordinary that I have to clean about every other month.

I am going from memory here but the cart is (IIRC) a 2003 IR model. And the batteries I think are 06 and were tested out a couple years back at 78%. They are Trojan 8-V's And have been well taken well care of.

Charger? Batteries? Loud sort of boiling sounds and batteries make me nervous...
cphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-30-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Default Re: Sounds like its boiling.

Most likely the batteries are old and tired and maybe one or more not taking a full charge anymore. They have lasted a long time being they are 06
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #3
cphilip
Getting Wild

Fraid so... I guess its time.

I'll give David (TahoeDawgZ71) down in Augusta a holla I guess.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
cphilip
Getting Wild

Also just noted that four of the 6 batteries show bulging out on one side. The four most external ones. The two center ones look normal. A good bit of corrosive foam now on the Aluminum rails as well that is abnormal and evidence of something going down. When they went... the went fast it seems!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car