lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
blazinwarrior78
Not Yet Wild

Default 87 Electric club car 36v solenoid/charger issues

The first issue I have ran across since I got this car 2 months ago is that sometimes it will not move but I can hear the solenoids clicking. I assume that may be the first, master, solenoid going bad. If I push the pedal a few times it will start to move. So I think replacing the master will cure this...
Second issue, is that on jackstands, the first two clicks don't move the cart, only on the 3rd click will the cart spin tires.
Third issue, is when driving around for a few minutes, it seems to lose the high speed "gear" and then cannot climb itself out of a pothole. If I let it sit for a while, it will appear to have high speed again, but then lose it shortly.
Lastly, is a charging issue. I have two chargers, one is an Associated that works, but then only runs for a little bit, then shuts off like the batteries are charged. Now they could be charged fully, and shutting off automatically, but based on the way the cart runs for a while then becomes slow, I wonder if they are charged all the way. The second charger I got is a Lester and it doesn't start to charge at all, I've contacted lester and they are supporting me 100%, and even sent me a new relay board, I have installed it, but it still won't charge the cart. Would this charger NOT come on unless the batteries are under 36 volts. The lowest my batts have been is 29 volts, and the associated charger turns right on when I plug it in when they are that low.

I know this is a large thread, just wanting to knock out one issue at a time, replacing a few parts if need be.

Thanks,
Todd
blazinwarrior78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: 87 Electric club car 36v solenoid/charger issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinwarrior78 View Post
The first issue I have ran across since I got this car 2 months ago is that sometimes it will not move but I can hear the solenoids clicking. I assume that may be the first, master, solenoid going bad. If I push the pedal a few times it will start to move. So I think replacing the master will cure this...
Second issue, is that on jackstands, the first two clicks don't move the cart, only on the 3rd click will the cart spin tires.
it could be the micro switches and/or solenoids
best to replace all .. but you can just test and replace any that are bad
also check each wire
here is diagram for your cart

Old 07-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #3
blazinwarrior78
Not Yet Wild

My speed control is box connected to the pedal, are the micro switches inside individually replacable, or would I have to replace the entire box?

I am going to replace the master solenoid, and the high speed solenoid as I had a run-a-way cart a few days ago, had to tap them all with a hammer to get it to 'unlatch' so the cart would stop moving. I figure the intermitent problem with the cart not moving is the from the master solenoid failing, and the run-a-way was from the high speed solenoid 'welding' or latching closed.

Hopefully I can replace all the batteries this year, as they are stamped 2008!

Thank you for your help.

Todd
Old 07-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #4
crash test dummy

yes they are replaceable (5 of them in box)

do the solenoids first .. you may not need to replace the micro switches

Last edited by crash test dummy; 07-17-2013 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: photo
Old 07-18-2013, 07:53 AM   #5
joe100
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have an 85 had all of your problems I started w/ the soleniods and then the switchs inn the speed box this took care of all my problems. Joe100
joe100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:20 AM   #6
blazinwarrior78
Not Yet Wild

I have ordered a 5 pack of solenoids from a vendor, next I will see if any of the micro switches need replaced.

Also I am going to replace the batteries soon, as they are stamped 2008.

Thank you guys for the help so far!

Todd
Old 07-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #7
wildbillw
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Be careful removing the micro-switches and don't twist off the long skinny bolt that holds them in. These are hard to find and due to the length and size are fragile.
Wildbillw
wildbillw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #8
blazinwarrior78
Not Yet Wild

I just purchased 5 new batteries to match the one I replaced earlier this month.
I got them for 79.99!!! They were on sale at my local Blain's Farm and Fleet. They are the 215 @ 20, not the largest out there, but better than the old Napa ones that were in the cart when I bought it, and I saved over 32 bucks per battery than going to my local Napa to replace with the same ones...

Hopefully the solenoids will be here by the end of the week so I can attack it over the weekend and get it done.

I can't wait to get it all back together, been a week or two since we used it.

Todd
Old 07-24-2013, 11:21 PM   #9
crash test dummy

Old 08-01-2013, 03:23 AM   #10
blazinwarrior78
Not Yet Wild

Ok, all 5 solenoids replaced, all new batteries, cleaned up all the connections, ready to try it out.
Put it on jack stands, and get 4 speeds, looks like I wired it all back up correct!
6 brand new batteries were charged individually with my microprocessor controlled 6 volt automatic charger. I got 6.3v each, and come in at 38.1v when installed on the cart.
Now, back to my charger issue. My Lester E-series won't turn on, they sent me a new relay board and I installed it, and still no-go, well, accept I haven't tried it with the new batteries yet since I just got it back together and running.
How can I test the charger to see if it just needs the microprocessor board replaced? (That was next in line per the Lester Tech Support Guy, waiting on his response about the relay board being a no-go.) Today I am going to plug in my Associated Charger and top off the batteries since the family drove the cart around last night after I left for work, and monitor to see how that goes, monitor pack voltage, etc.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car