lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2023, 01:53 PM   #1
hmacken1
Not Yet Wild

Default 1992? Par Car Rebuild

All,

Im new to golf cart rebuilds but I picked up this gem for 400$. Hopefully I didnt get screwed at that price. Experts will have to let me know if its worth it.

I found this pdf(CPC_MANUAL_PARTS_1992_GSEL.pdf) on the forum already. Is it the proper one for my machine?

Machine doesnt run and it looks like almost all of the cables are shot. Where is the best place to buy new cables? brakes, throttle, everything.

I think its a 1992, If someone knows it would help me with my parts search.

I also need a new spark plug. Is this something generic or specific for these 2 strokes?

I powerwashed the entire thing and have all the covers for it. Are there any "gotchas"? I should know about or things I should test before dumping money into it?

I will posted update progress pictures as I go.

Thanks,

Henry
hmacken1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-02-2023, 08:04 AM   #2
hmacken1
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1992? Par Car Rebuild

Attachments
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image0 (1).jpg (178.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (244.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-02-2023, 11:35 AM   #3
Lochlin
Gone Wild

The "gotcha" for that cart is that is used an electronic ignition module for spark and those haven't been made in years. If you find that the cart has no spark you are going to have to do a bit of work to replace the ignition. There is a sticky on top of the forum that provides options. Fortunately, we only recently uncovered a workable solution that's easy to implement. The information is all in the sticky.

You have the right service manual for your cart but the right parts manual is helpful as well. It's here:

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/colu..._1992_GSEL.pdf

The best way to source parts is the get the original part number from the manual and Google it. A site that you will find useful is here:

https://www.vintagegolfcartparts.com/

That's not only a source for parts but also a great source for information. If a part is obsolete that supplier will normally have other replacement options.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 03:37 PM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

The exhaust system is made of unobtainium. The crank pin and connecting rod/crank bearings also. Primary clutch is expensive. Just be aware of what you are getting into. P.S. Even the brake cable was not available for my 1982. Just like the exhaust system I had to use earlier parts with a fair amount of fab work. The parts situation on the HD/ Columbia is sketchy at best. IMHO not the best pick for an everyday cart. Nice when they are restored but best used as a now and again ride.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 09:51 AM   #5
hmacken1
Not Yet Wild

This information doesnt sound good if I am looking for lots of parts. It might be better to shine it back up and try to get my 400$ back out of it.
Old 11-06-2023, 03:00 PM   #6
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Most of the "make it work" parts are still available. Things like cylinders, pistons, carbs, wheel bearings and things like that. Where things get a little sketchy are the atypical parts like the aforementioned ignition modules and brake components.

More so, HDs / Columbias are finicky SOBs. I have 4 of them as people keep giving them to me. When they are running right they're cool. It definitely takes some tinkering here and there, though.
Old 11-07-2023, 03:29 PM   #7
hmacken1
Not Yet Wild

Im sure I can get it going I just see that most of the cables are bad. I am not seeing many of them out there. I may have to create or adapt some from something similar. I appreciate the information @Lochlin. Ill get some pictures up so you can see what I mean.
Old 11-09-2023, 05:59 PM   #8
hmacken1
Not Yet Wild

So this is what I am working with.

Brake cables are shot and so is this come connecting to the carb.

There is also a random spring they had that wraps around the electric motor.

Let me know what you think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (149.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg image3.jpg (146.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg image4.jpg (150.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg image5.jpg (91.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-10-2023, 09:43 AM   #9
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Yeah, those brake cables are gonzo and need replaced. Vintage golf cart parts has them but they are a bit pricey:

https://www.vintagegolfcartparts.com..._brakes_cables

Really, it's just a cable. You can use any cable so long as it's about the right length and has a similar connection. You may have to modify things a bit, though. I need to do this on an 89 that I restored last year but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

The cable in your third pic is for the choke. That's an easy one. Any universal choke cable will work. They are "trim to fit" like this one is:

https://www.autozone.com/collision-b...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I suspect that the spring is some hillbilly engineering that is meant to stop the starter pulley from rotating into to secondary clutch when the cart is being run. Because motors are spinning internally, they want to spin externally too. Motor mounts prevent them from doing so. However, when the mounts get worn they will allow the motor to rotate just enough so that the starter hits the clutch thus making a banging noise. Rather than replacing the mounts, a previous owner installed that spring to counteract the motor's wanting to rotate.

Fortunately, this is a simple fix. You can replace the motor mounts which are easy to find and cheap. To be honest, though, you can delete the driver's side ones altogether which will likely take care of the issue. The passenger side mounts will be enough to dampen the ride.
Old 11-10-2023, 11:09 AM   #10
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

He no longer carries the 82-83 brake cable but with a fair amount of fab an earlier one can be used.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar