lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-06-2023, 11:34 AM   #41
InvalidUsername
Gone Wild

Default Re: upgrade to Lithium, how many AMPS do I need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
Again the way it's working now for you once the weakest battery charges to 100%, it stops charging to the rest it does not matter which order they are wired.
Ah, of course. They are in series. No bypass.
InvalidUsername is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-06-2023, 11:37 AM   #42
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvalidUsername View Post
Ah, of course. They are in series. No bypass.
The bypass would be individually charging with a charger like the Noco as mentioned. Here is a link.

If you want to spend more for faster charging they have a 40a model that charges at 10a per battery instead of the 2a per battery like this model.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GENIUS2X...s%2C208&sr=8-2
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 11:41 AM   #43
InvalidUsername
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCartBoy View Post
If you are looking to maximize cost effectiveness, look at building your own pack.
I'm just not that into it. In retrospect buying this thing was a mistake. I should have bought a diesel UTV, but back then I was so tired of combustion engines I thought electric was the way to go. Boy was I wrong. I hated having to maintain LA batteries. So this lithium step up is a way for me to make the best of an imperfect situation and avoid having to fork out around 25K for a UTV.
Old 12-06-2023, 11:44 AM   #44
InvalidUsername
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
The bypass would be individually charging with a charger like the Noco as mentioned. Here is a link.

If you want to spend more for faster charging they have a 40a model that charges at 10a per battery instead of the 2a per battery like this model.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GENIUS2X...s%2C208&sr=8-2
Oh gee whiz I wish I had known about that before I bought one. Thanks for the link.
Old 12-06-2023, 11:47 AM   #45
InvalidUsername
Gone Wild

Quote:
Oh gee whiz I wish I had known about that before I bought one. Thanks for the link.
hmm... I have until Jan 31 to return or replace the charger. I love Amazon
Old 12-06-2023, 11:53 AM   #46
InvalidUsername
Gone Wild

Quote:
In fact unless you individually charged each battery before wiring them up in a series the chances are good now that one of your batteries is charged a lot more than the rest limiting the output amp hours you would have needed to hook each battery up to a 12 volt charger either all in parallel or individually and charged each one
This is where I'm confused. I have been told that charging each individually to balance them is not required. Hooking them up in parallel for 12 hrs or so until their voltages are within 30 mV of each other will do the same thing.
Old 12-06-2023, 12:01 PM   #47
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
This is where I'm confused. I have been told that charging each individually to balance them is not required. Hooking them up in parallel for 12 hrs or so until their voltages are within 30 mV of each other will do the same thing.
Okay so when you received the four 12 volt batteries they come at different states of charge it's just the way it is depending on how long they've been sitting on the shelf or what level they were charged to at the factory that day when you wire them up in a series with a 48 volt charger the charger charges until one cell hits 3.65 volts and then that battery is BMS shuts off the charging to the rest so theoretically if one battery is 30% more charged than the rest the charger will shut off when that battery reaches a full charge long before the rest of the batteries are fully charged now with lithium the voltage of the battery stays pretty consistent for quite a while once it gets up to a certain point but it is far from fully charged at that point. Still if you were to throw a multimeter on each 12 volt battery they might all read 13.6 volts and still be 20% or more different in their state of charge
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 12:02 PM   #48
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Sorry for the poor punctuation I am using voice to text
Old 12-06-2023, 12:07 PM   #49
InvalidUsername
Gone Wild

Quote:
Okay so when you received the four 12 volt batteries they come at different states of charge it's just the way it is depending on how long they've been sitting on the shelf or what level they were charged to at the factory that day when you wire them up in a series with a 48 volt charger the charger charges until one cell hits 3.65 volts and then that battery is BMS shuts off the charging to the rest so theoretically if one battery is 30% more charged than the rest the charger will shut off when that battery reaches a full charge long before the rest of the batteries are fully charged now with lithium the voltage of the battery stays pretty consistent for quite a while once it gets up to a certain point but it is far from fully charged at that point. Still if you were to throw a multimeter on each 12 volt battery they might all read 13.6 volts and still be 20% or more different in their state of charge
But if you hook them up in parallel for 12 hrs before charging in series for the 1st time don't their SOCs equalize?
Old 12-06-2023, 12:08 PM   #50
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
But if you hook them up in parallel for 12 hrs before charging in series for the 1st time don't their SOCs equalize?
Yes I mentioned that but you have to do that with a 12 volt lithium charger not the 48 volt charger oh I see your saying to jist hook them up in up without charging.I don't believe you can top balance very well that way
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car