lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-06-2023, 12:18 PM   #51
InvalidUsername
Gone Wild

Default Re: upgrade to Lithium, how many AMPS do I need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
Yes I mentioned that but you have to do that with a 12 volt lithium charger not the 48 volt charger
Why doesn't just hooking them up in parallel for 12 hrs without charging them work? I've been told it works the same
InvalidUsername is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-06-2023, 12:24 PM   #52
InvalidUsername
Gone Wild

To the OP, I hope you don't think I've hijacked your thread. Hopefully you are being edified by all of this. If not, I apologize and will stop
Old 12-06-2023, 12:34 PM   #53
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvalidUsername View Post
Why doesn't just hooking them up in parallel for 12 hrs without charging them work? I've been told it works the same
Because of the flat voltage curve of the cells and like I mentioned earlier, a battery reading say 13.6v could be 25% less charged than another also reading 13.6v.. this is the same reasons the voltage meter gauges are not a very good indicator of state of charge for lithium
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 01:00 PM   #54
InvalidUsername
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
The bypass would be individually charging with a charger like the Noco as mentioned. Here is a link.

If you want to spend more for faster charging they have a 40a model that charges at 10a per battery instead of the 2a per battery like this model.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GENIUS2X...s%2C208&sr=8-2
I see the Noco Genius 10x4 and 5x2 chargers. Do you know if they make a 5x4 charger? 2x4 would be too slow I think for 100AH
Old 12-06-2023, 01:29 PM   #55
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvalidUsername View Post
I see the Noco Genius 10x4 and 5x2 chargers. Do you know if they make a 5x4 charger? 2x4 would be too slow I think for 100AH

Only other 4 bank I have seen is this one.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GENPRO10...s%2C138&sr=8-2

Obviously will charge way faster but $$$$
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 01:31 PM   #56
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
Only other 4 bank I have seen is this one.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GENPRO10...s%2C138&sr=8-2

Obviously will charge way faster but $$$$
For that kind of money I would just buy for individual 12 volt lithium Chargers and a good extension cord and splitter
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 01:31 PM   #57
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
For that kind of money I would just buy for individual 12 volt lithium Chargers and a good extension cord and splitter
Agreed
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 02:00 PM   #58
InvalidUsername
Gone Wild

Quote:
That's what I'm thinking. Reading some unfavorable things about Nocos and their customer support. 4 identical chargers eliminates a single point of failure. I could mount 4 on top of my batteries, assuming heat issues wouldn't be a problem
Old 12-06-2023, 03:03 PM   #59
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

4 chargers…..expensive 4 port chargers….etc. hence my original comment about series 12v lithium batteries being more trouble than their worth.

Everything everyone has said above is correct. Elaborating, Connecting 12v in parallel to balance them will only work if you also fully charge them at the same time (while in parallel) with a 12v lithium charger. Just connecting them in parallel won’t work. You need to get the voltage up above 14v, preferably up to 14.4v. This will get them all up to 100% but it won’t stop them from drifting over time.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 05:08 PM   #60
billnet2
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I did a 72ah conversion. Uses less than half capacity for 18 holes. Haven't tried 18 back to back yet. Most sites seem to promote the 105ah. I saved the money and am happy with the product. The 72ah does not have mountings that align with the compartment (as the center hole 105ah unit does) so some minor cutting of protrusions is required and holes in the floor to mount the battery. The 48v to 12v converter mounts under the seat as well as the charger. Replace the connector and you only need an extension cord to charge. Also need to cut hole in dash for the meter, run some wires, etc.

https://thegolfcartfarm.com/collecti...lt-72ah-bundle
billnet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car