lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-30-2014, 02:53 PM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Bought new cart and its going 18mph???

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotaCamaro View Post
The previous carts I have owned are old early 90's so I guess they are the 'series' motors. They drag *** going up hills. The current cart in the pictures thou, rips it up hills like they are not even there, which is why i figured not stock. Did'nt realize just bigger tires add 5mph?

Ill pop the controller cover to see if anything aftermarket is in there, when you say the controller wont last long what do you mean? With the lift and bigger tires i figured it would run slower, but is that putting stress on other parts in the cart that need to be upgarded?
The DCS (sepex motor) didn't come out until 1995, so before that they were all series.

Unlike series wound motors, the armature and field winding in Sepex (aka Shunt wound) motors are separately excited, so the torque curve can be altered on the fly using a process called Field Mapping and the net result is that carts with sepex motors don't slow down as much on hills as carts with series motors do, but they do slow down.

Tire height is part of the final drive ratio, so you tend to get more speed with taller tires, but available torque is reduced. Stock tire height is 18", so 23" tires is about a 28% increase in speed and about a 22% loss in torque where the rubber meets the road. Stock speed for a DCS is about 14 MPH, so a 28% increase is about 18MPH, but it would slow down more on hills than a DCS with stock height tires. That means the hill is mild, or the cart has more modifications than just taller tires. (Or your perception of how much it slows down is contaminated by prior experience on series carts. )

The stock DCS controller (Curtis 1206SX) didn't have a low voltage cutoff and it had some other issues, so they tend not to last very long with tires over about 20". Of course, some people have ran them with tall tire for years, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

It will be interesting to find out what controller and motor you have.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO