lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-02-2018, 12:38 PM   #1
faststang2000
Not Yet Wild

Default Suggestions on Ezgo Series build

Looking for suggestion or ideas on which way to go with a EZGO series build I'm doing. Ime building this from extra parts . Starting with a 2004 Ezgo frame rust free. Have installed a 6 in spindle lift. 14 in tires and wheels. Had a barn find D&D 8 hp motor model 170-004-0001. Only a couple of hours run time on it. I don't have a controller for it yet, understand this motor only good for about 14 mph with stock controller. Talked to D&D and suggested a SR500 controller. I'm not wanting to go supper fast in this thing but would like to get at least 19 to 20 mph. They said my 3 options are gears, up grade to 48 volts or motor upgrade. Would like to use this motor as its nearly new. Need some more speed but don't want to lose a ton of torque to get it. Have a disc brake set up in it and will be a four passenger cart. U guys have any input on best and most reliable way to go. Don't want to spend tons of money, as may decide to sell and don't want to lose if possible. Thx for any input.
faststang2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-02-2018, 12:58 PM   #2
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Suggestions on Ezgo Series build

Quote:
Originally Posted by faststang2000 View Post
Looking for suggestion or ideas on which way to go with a EZGO series build I'm doing. Ime building this from extra parts . Starting with a 2004 Ezgo frame rust free. Have installed a 6 in spindle lift. 14 in tires and wheels. Had a barn find D&D 8 hp motor model 170-004-0001. Only a couple of hours run time on it. I don't have a controller for it yet, understand this motor only good for about 14 mph with stock controller. Talked to D&D and suggested a SR500 controller. I'm not wanting to go supper fast in this thing but would like to get at least 19 to 20 mph. They said my 3 options are gears, up grade to 48 volts or motor upgrade. Would like to use this motor as its nearly new. Need some more speed but don't want to lose a ton of torque to get it. Have a disc brake set up in it and will be a four passenger cart. U guys have any input on best and most reliable way to go. Don't want to spend tons of money, as may decide to sell and don't want to lose if possible. Thx for any input.
48volt. Best thing I ever did to my series cart.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:09 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The D&D 170-004-0001 is a high-torque motor. It has about 40% more torque than the stock series motor EZGO used in that year cart and about 14% less speed. (12MPH vs 14MPH for a stock series drive cart)

With stock gears (12.44:1) and stock height tires (18" tall) the top speed will be about 12MPH with that motor and a 36V battery pack.

How tall are your tires?
FWIW: They would have to be 30" tall to get 20MPH running that motor with a 36V battery pack and 12.44:1 gears.

Going to a 48V battery pack will increase both speed and torque by 33%.
That will give you about 16MPH on stock height tires. If the tires you have are taller than 18", it will go faster, unless the tires are the low pressure type (<10PSI max inflation pressure), then it may be slower.

48V battery pack and SR48500 with compatible solenoid and battery charger is the way to go since it is going to be a 4 passenger cart. Top speed will be determined by the height of the tires you've already installed.

Let me know your tire height and I can give you a pretty good estimate on the top speed.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:09 PM   #4
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
48volt. Best thing I ever did to my series cart.
Same here. No regrets!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:15 PM   #5
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Another vote for the SR48500 and 48v!
handtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 02:19 PM   #6
faststang2000
Not Yet Wild

Tires are 23x10x14
faststang2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 03:55 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Tires are 23x10x14
The 23" tires represent a 25% reduction in power where the rubber meets the road or turf. Keep that in mind when you are upgrading. Lots of good info here > Scottyb's upgrade suggestions
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 05:02 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Tires are 23x10x14
The height stamped on the sidewalls is approximate and might be off in either direction by an inch or more. A yardstick and a level is accurate enough for most needs.

The speed gain for a 23" tall tire is about 28% and the torque loss is about 22%. The torque gain of the motor is 40%, so the net torque gain at 36V is 18% over stock, which ought to handle the weight of the rear seat and two additional passengers fairly well.

Theoretical speed at 36V is 15.3MPH with a net torque gain of 18%.
Theoretical speed at 48V is 20.4MPH with a net torque gain of 51%.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO