lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-07-2020, 12:07 PM   #1
Fndrbss
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Club Car Caroche Brake System

I’m restoring a 78 Caroche and my brake pedals were all screwed up. My hill brake pedal just flopped around and the hydraulic brake would engage the hill brake when depressed. Upon closer inspection I found there is a solid shaft that runs thru all three pedal housings. One end of the shaft connects to the hill brake housing and the other end to the brake ratchet assembly which engages the pawl (click, click, click) when you set the hill brake. The accelerator should release the pawl (and hill brake) when pressed (clunk). The hydraulic brake and accelerator pedals should move independently of the solid shaft. Turns out my hydraulic brake was rusted to the solid shaft and subsequently would engage the hill brake when depressed. To free it I clamped down the solid shaft at the ratchet assembly, applied some heat to the brake pedal housing and it finally loosened up. I drilled a few small holes thru the housing collar so I could spray some lube in there. It’s loose enough for the return spring to work now. For some reason my hill brake was not attached to the solid shaft so I merely drilled a thru hole and installed a nut and bolt. The whole system works perfectly now. Hope this helps someone.
Fndrbss is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-07-2020, 12:19 PM   #2
Fndrbss
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Club Car Caroche Brake System

Sorry for the duplicate posts. The system was showing “error” and not showing the first two post attempts 🤔
Fndrbss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:39 PM   #3
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Very nice.

Got any pics of your cart?
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 07:37 AM   #4
Bullbear4480
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I bought a late 70s caroche 2 weeks ago. I had the same issue with all my pedals they were all seized together. I managed to break free the accelerator. The brake n hill brake r still moving together tho. Today, I will attempt to do what you did.

I'm going to get everything running on it and paint it red then put a fire ladder on the side. I think my caroche resembles an old fire truck. It has a big custom allumin bed on the rear. I'll try to post a pic of it on here still all new to this site.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imageedit_1_8528153737.jpg (51.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg imageedit_0_9565644509.jpg (85.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg imageedit_1_9659116695.jpg (83.8 KB, 0 views)
Bullbear4480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:48 AM   #5
novjay1977
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fndrbss View Post
I’m restoring a 78 Caroche and my brake pedals were all screwed up. My hill brake pedal just flopped around and the hydraulic brake would engage the hill brake when depressed. Upon closer inspection I found there is a solid shaft that runs thru all three pedal housings. One end of the shaft connects to the hill brake housing and the other end to the brake ratchet assembly which engages the pawl (click, click, click) when you set the hill brake. The accelerator should release the pawl (and hill brake) when pressed (clunk). The hydraulic brake and accelerator pedals should move independently of the solid shaft. Turns out my hydraulic brake was rusted to the solid shaft and subsequently would engage the hill brake when depressed. To free it I clamped down the solid shaft at the ratchet assembly, applied some heat to the brake pedal housing and it finally loosened up. I drilled a few small holes thru the housing collar so I could spray some lube in there. It’s loose enough for the return spring to work now. For some reason my hill brake was not attached to the solid shaft so I merely drilled a thru hole and installed a nut and bolt. The whole system works perfectly now. Hope this helps someone.
This actually helps a lot. Although I currently don't have a breaking system (working on it), the three pedals in my 74 caroche are stuck together as well (pushing one depresses them all). I will give this a try. Thanks so much for posting.
novjay1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 01:03 PM   #6
Matagorda
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I was able to source a master cylinder for less than 60 bucks for mine. Now, if the match stays that way, Im gonna have wheel cylinders for less than 20 bucks as well.!!!
Matagorda is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car