lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-13-2009, 10:22 PM   #1
LimaRomeo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default After Charging Red Puddles

When I plug my cart in red puddles appear under the cart, I read on other posts that this is from the gasses from charging, but im getting some pretty good size puddles. I was wondering if there was a way to fix this, maybe taking some water out of the batteries. Thanks for you help. The cart is still under warranty from the dealer that i bought it.
2005 EZ GO PDS
LimaRomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-13-2009, 10:27 PM   #2
dirtysouth
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: After Charging Red Puddles

Welcome Lima... Have you added water to the batteries? They only leak out the top if they are over full.
dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:34 PM   #3
LimaRomeo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: After Charging Red Puddles

I never added water i was just wondering if they were to full, that they could boil over, i ride on pretty much flat road so i dont think they are over flowing
Old 05-13-2009, 10:40 PM   #4
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The water level shouldn't be that high, but I wouldn't take any out!
After several charges that should stop. (some water evaporates when the batts are charging) (some may splash out the vents too) I would let the dealer know, in case you have a battery problem later.
Eventually you will need to add water anyway.
Be sure to clean all that stuff (acid) off of your batteries and frame. Neutralize it with baking soda and water rinse so that it doesn't corrode your terminals, cables and frame! Acid can cause lots of problems........
And WELCOME to the forum!
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:44 PM   #5
LimaRomeo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

There isnt any acid on the top of the batteries or terminals it justs forms puddles underneath the cart, its making a mess on my garage floor
Old 05-13-2009, 10:54 PM   #6
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

You said red puddles. That's a lot of electrolyte in my mind and more than should normally escape via gassing during the charge cycle. The batteries are boiling during charging for a reason(s). I'd take it back to the dealer and ask him to replace the batteries.

The red is the rust from your steel battery trays. Puddles on concrete floor? Yes? You just etched it in and nothing short of grinding will remove it. I have had limited success with using oxalic acid to remove...well lighten considerably the rust stain.

Be cautious using baking soda around your batteries. Any of that stuff gets inside a cell..well you probably know what happens. Stray diluted bicarbonate of soda can get in thru the vents on the caps. I'd suggest a brush and plain water. Regularly removing and maintaining your battery connections keeps them in good condition.

Welcome to "Sparkyville."

Also, one or more of the batteries may have a cracked case. Back to the dealer!!!
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:27 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

PG is right ....make the dealer make this right ... and undo the damage to your carts battery trays. neutralize, clean, dry and repaint...then new batteries. This time check the water level upon del. or when you leave the shop
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:40 AM   #8
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

OOPS! I was reading too fast.(or not comprehending) Warrenty! I'm not used to that.
PG is right, what was I thinkin'. We used to use soda, now we use a spray battery cleaner for that reason.
let the dealer do it...........I better go to bed
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:56 AM   #9
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

One more thought. Have the dealer check the charger as well. You never know!

Good luck!
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO