lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-28-2020, 02:29 PM   #1
fldoghunter
Not Yet Wild

Default My Buggies broke

My kids golf cart quit running. It is a 1998 48 volt cart with a d&d high speed motor. A couple times before it quit running, it would shudder some as you started it. Once it got to rolling it would take off and run fine. Now it won't move by itself. If you put it in forward/reverse, and push the pedal down, it just clicks. If while pushing the pedal down, you push the cart to get it rolling, it will take off. The batteries are a few years old and have been maintained, the charged pack reads right around 50.2V.

I'm not an electrician and and these carts baffle me. I know an A/C motor has a starter condenser to start the motor rolling, but I'm not sure if these DC motors do. Maybe it's in the controller? I haven't really had time to jump on it, but the kids are driving me crazy about it. Any suggestions about where to start?
fldoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-28-2020, 02:42 PM   #2
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: My Buggies broke

I have an old TXT and the first thing I do when it acts up is go from one end of the electrical to the other checking all connections/wires. I mean, actually put a wrench on them and tighten. Have saved myself a lot of money replacing things because one nut was a "little loose" and not making a good connection. I also see what shape everything is in (corrosion/burnt spots, etc.), tells me when I need to replace something (cable or switch) before it fails. Also, feel cables/wires after it has run to see if anything is hot. That usually is a tell tell sign where a problem may be. After you have done that, go to the "Stickies" under your cart name and follow testing procedures for various components.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 03:01 PM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

If you can push it and it starts to work that is pointing to a bad spot on the armature or brushes. Once it gets moving it will just spin past the bad spot.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 03:29 PM   #4
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldoghunter View Post
The batteries are a few years old and have been maintained, the charged pack reads right around 50.2V.
i would test those under load and see how far they drop.....
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 05:04 PM   #5
fldoghunter
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Brad View Post
I have an old TXT and the first thing I do when it acts up is go from one end of the electrical to the other checking all connections/wires. I mean, actually put a wrench on them and tighten. Have saved myself a lot of money replacing things because one nut was a "little loose" and not making a good connection. I also see what shape everything is in (corrosion/burnt spots, etc.), tells me when I need to replace something (cable or switch) before it fails. Also, feel cables/wires after it has run to see if anything is hot. That usually is a tell tell sign where a problem may be. After you have done that, go to the "Stickies" under your cart name and follow testing procedures for various components.
I plan on going over them. I did go over the battery cables. I have to pull the rear part of the body off to go over the rest as I don't have an inspection cover.
Old 08-28-2020, 05:13 PM   #6
fldoghunter
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
If you can push it and it starts to work that is pointing to a bad spot on the armature or brushes. Once it gets moving it will just spin past the bad spot.
When you push it, it really kicks in and goes.

When the last batteries were getting old and the kids would run it till it was dead, you could push it to get it started and it would go and maybe get you back to the house. It would kind of ease off then. This isn't like that, it really kicks in.
Old 08-28-2020, 05:17 PM   #7
fldoghunter
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budule View Post
i would test those under load and see how far they drop.....
How do I check it under load, push pedal with the meter hooked up? I wouldn't think it would be weak batteries, up until it quit, you could get at least 12 miles or so before it would get to 48.6. That's where I told the kids to stop riding plug it in.
Old 09-01-2020, 08:29 AM   #8
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Get a volt meter (cheap) and hook up to each battery and drive it to check each battery. If you have a dying battery, it will show up then.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car