lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-07-2020, 10:07 PM   #1
ez007
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 03 club car ds iq needs more power getting up hills

my 48 volt ds IQ is currently only going 15 on flat surface and 10-12 uphills. question is should i upgrade controller or motor or should i just upgrade the cart?was thinking of a ego rxv.heard these handle hills quit well. I know i can reprogram the controller to program 4 but will that increase torque and hp or just move the regen braking to a higher speed and not get me up the hill faster?thanks for any input
ez007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-07-2020, 10:27 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: 03 club car ds iq needs more power getting up hills

Controller first on an IQ cart. SP4 only raises the RPM limit, no increase in torque or HP

That is a EXCELLENT cart and one of the BEST DS's you can own. Look here https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/u...ages-precedent for some ideas.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 12:39 AM   #3
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez007 View Post
my 48 volt ds IQ is currently only going 15 on flat surface and 10-12 uphills. question is should i upgrade controller or motor or should i just upgrade the cart? ....
Our stock 2003 IQ would do 16-17 of flat and 11-12 on hills.
It has 10.3:1 gears and yours probably has 12.0:1 so ours would go a bit faster, but slows down on hills more.
To get more torque/speed you need more amps.
Your stock controller is probably limited to 230-250 amps, so an Alltrax XCT 48300 would give you a boost in torque and speed without having to upgrade the cables/solenoid.
After installing an Alltrax XCT 48400 with upgraded cables/solenoid we can get up to 27-28 on flat and 25 on the hill.
With an Alltrax XCT 48500 and a higher RPM limit yours would probably do about the same.
Our GE motor is limited to 400a and a lower max RPM.
You could get the Alltrax 500a controller if you have the AMD motor, dial it down to 300a and upgrade the cables/solenoid later.
Alltrax has a free PC based Toolkit that provides full access to settings/ adjustments/status flags.
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 09:08 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

My DS is a 2008. Stock except I got a speed magnet from revolution. It will run 20-22mph flat ground and around 17-18 up really big hills. Hills really don’t affect it a ton. For 20 or 30 bucks or whatever I paid for the magnet, I can’t really say I need or want anything more out of it.

If you’re noticing major performance loss on hills, before upgrading anything make sure a few things I’ve noticed. Look at the front of the hole where the gas pedal goes through the floor. You will see where the little rod coming off the pedal makes contact with the sensor. Make sure this is tight and doesn’t have slop. Also make sure your cables and connections are clean and secure and in good condition. Bad cables will play hell on hills where current demand goes high

I’m not sure how old your batteries are but might be worth monitoring pack voltage as well and make sure it’s not dipping low.

Before I added the speed magnet my iq would do 14-15mph regardless of flat
Ground or hills, once I took the slop out of the pedal. It was actually a nice change compared to my series DS before it
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 10:10 AM   #5
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

CP how does it do downhill without regen braking? I use a magnet here in flat Florida but wouldn’t in a hilly area, but that’s just me.
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 10:37 AM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakko47 View Post
CP how does it do downhill without regen braking? I use a magnet here in flat Florida but wouldn’t in a hilly area, but that’s just me.
I have a brake pedal for that

It’s no different than a series cart down hill, they never had regen braking to begin with. You don’t want to let it get out of hand on a big hill and go wicked fast, like 30+mph or whatever makes these motors explode, use common sense. But as for safety and etc. it’s really no big deal at all. I personally don’t like the way the regen makes the cart “feel”.
Old 11-08-2020, 12:10 PM   #7
Djlow
Not Yet Wild

I'm definitely following this. I am open to a new controller for my 2003 cc iq. My cart is slow going up hills and occasionally cuts all power and beeps. Let off the throttle and hit it again and it goes. Controller or some sort of speed sensor?
Djlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 01:33 PM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Djlow- It cuts out and beeps because the Roll Away is active. You need to find what is dropping out. Probably the solenoid.
Old 11-08-2020, 01:34 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Easier to picture than describe.

Check this rod and pedal for free play. Your controller may never be seeing “full throttle”. I zip ties a piece of fuel line to take up the space and MAN instantly became a different cart. I had almost 1/4” of play before and it drove like crap, no power at all, etc. there’s actually a bushing that wears out I should replace but I never think about it because it’s not broken anymore lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0B366883-D210-4CED-BC8C-B426A0F1CCB4.jpg (212.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-08-2020, 01:36 PM   #10
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

The kids dropped a piece of bubble gum down there....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car