lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
txbonds
Gone Wild
Club Car

Question Bumpy ride, what else could it be? Help Please!!

I must have the worse luck. I replaced tires on my cart recently and got 3 out of round tires. The reason for replacing tires was that my original lifted front tires were completely worn out and causing a bumpy ride.

So, after replacing tires the bumpy ride continued and I assumed tires are out of round. Decided to use it as an excuse to replace entire lift and order new larger wheels and tires. Took off my jakes 3" spindle lift and replaced with a jakes 4" double a-arm. Went ahead and put brand new hubs on to rule them out as a problem. Also ordered a set of brand new fairway allow prestige wheels and EFX Blade 22x11x10 tires.

Just finished installing basically an entirely new front end with the new lift. Got everything adjusted for alignment and darn if I don't still have the bumpy ride.

So, what am I missing? My original 3" lift with 20" sahara classic tires rode pretty smooth, so I know it's possible.

> Should tires be aired down to some certain secret setting?
> Could it be bad front/rear shocks causing the problem?
> Do I have such bad luck that I possibly got another set of out of round tires?

The cart is a 2004 club car DS IS with new batts, rear factory stationary seat with HD rear springs, stock motor but 400amp Alltrax DCX controller. Not sure if any of that matters.

Anyone have any ideas before I go crazy? Thanks.

txbonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-01-2012, 08:52 PM   #2
Xact1
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Bumpy ride, what else could it be? Help Please!!

txbonds,

I have the same lift kit as yours, except it is a 6 inch lift. Everything on your cart looks the same as mine. I have 22 inch Sahara's and 12 X 7 wheels. I also have HD rear springs and automotive shocks on the rear. The cart rides pretty stiff, but no excessive bounce.

SO, I went to check the tire pressures for you, and guess what? I found a couple of interesting things:

1. My tires were inflated to 20lbs. Each tire states a maximum seating pressure (during installation) of 36lbs and a maximum operating pressure of 5lbs. Since I have my cart apart right now, I will have to experiment with tire pressure to see what happens. What pressure are your tires at, and have you tried different pressures?

2. I DID NOT KNOW THIS, BUT: My tires are directional. There is an arrow pointing to the correct direction of rotation. The arrow is located right below the operating pressure statements. I have (2) correct and (2) incorrect, which will now be swapped. So, I have you to thank for alerting me!

Do you think that any of this might be your problem?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (62.9 KB, 0 views)
Xact1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
txbonds
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks Xact1. I'll have to go check those things and report back in a minute. I see you are in NY. I ordered these tires from up there from a place called KJ Motorsports out of Middleport. Not sure if that's close to you or not though. :)

EDIT:

Tires all between 16 to 20 PSI. I just lowered all to 16 so they are consistent. Tire rating on side says 1,000 pounds at 20psi, but doesn't say what to set at for normal driving so maybe I should go lower

Don't see any directional markings on them.

What automotive shocks did you use? Mine are club car shocks from 2004 so probably wouldn't hurt to refresh them.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
Xact1
Gone Wild

Club Car

txbonds,

Middleport is about 3 hours away for me.

PS> my cart does not look anything like my avatar. It is currently in pieces but I am doing a lot to it with a build thread.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...s-upgrade.html
Old 12-01-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
Xact1
Gone Wild

Club Car

I am going to search this forum and see what most members are using as tire pressure. My guess is that yours and mine are set too high, and should be lower. Now, I'm not sure if I agree with a 5lb rating that is on each of my 22 inch tires, but I am willing to experiment.

The automotive shocks are going to stiffen up the rear. My thread details what I ended up using. Your cart is probably different, because it is newer. There are Monroe and Gabriel charts on this forum that you can use to find a shock that has the same size as your stock rear shocks at compression, and at least the minimum travel that your stock shock has. Maximum travel is not an issue.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
txbonds
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the feedback. I had Sahara classic 20x10-10 on a 3" spindle lift when I first lifted this cart and they rode pretty smooth. Thinking back I think they had around 10psi in them. Guess each tire is different. I'll experiment tomorrow and might call Colorado Components Monday if I don't get it figured out since they make both my tire and wheel.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #7
Xact1
Gone Wild

Club Car

Hey, please let us know the results.

I also to another look at your tire specs and compared them to mine:

Yours state 1000lbs max at 20psi

My Sahara's state 330lbs with no max psi. Mine specify a 4ply construction. What are yours?
Old 12-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #8
txbonds
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xact1 View Post
Hey, please let us know the results.
Will do.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:07 AM   #9
Mr.ken
Gone Wild

Club Car

Mine wobbles as well. It is unaffected by tire pressure and has brand new wheels tires and lift
Mr.ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #10
txbonds
Gone Wild
Club Car

Went down to 10psi and drove it a few miles. Still having the rhythmic humpty bumpty ride. Worse at slower speed.

I'm thinking if its not a bad wheel/tire, it's got to be bent axle(s) as I don't think there is any thing else that could cause it and the front end suspension and hubs are brand new, and the tires/wheels are brand new.

My wife thinks its coming from back end as well but I can't say for sure. How hard is it to swap rear axles and what is involved? Any special tools or procedures?

Thanks.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car