lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
Sid Heath
Not Yet Wild

Default new batteries installed but now doesn't run

I installed 6 new T-105s into my EZ-Go Freedom (about 7 years old) but the cart does not go any longer(motor does not get engaged). I thought I was careful to put it back the way it was initially but I must have missed something. I am pretty sure that I have the series hooked up correctly. I charged the batteries and they are now fully charged. The lights and the horn works but when I push the pedal nothing happens. Even when I throw the direction selector switch, I do not get the noise that I got before. When I was reading other posts, there were comments that some motors have a breaker switch ( red button). I had hoped that was what it was but after I took the batteries back out, I could not find a switch on the motor. By the way, everything worked before I replaced the batteries. On the positive terminal for the first battery, I have a white wire from the charger, a big black wire from directional selector, and a red wire that I think is "BL+".
On the last battery(Neg terminal) in the series, I have two black wires. One from the charger and one that is in the same sheath as BL+ which I think is BL-. The only other wire is a green wire on the positive terminal on the 5th battery. I cleaned all the terminals and used new nuts when I put the new batteries in. It seems like they are right because the light works, the horn works and the charger works.
I took the cover off the direction selector switch and it moves when I throw the handle between forward and reverse. I have a hunch that because the beeping does not start when I throw it into reverse,this might be a key to what is wrong.(The key is on when I do this). I noticed that there are three fuses on the side panel but they did not look like they controlled anything for the motor.
Any help would be much appreciated. I also took off the wires on A! and S! on the motor to clean them up but I relooked at them and they seem clean and tight.
Sid Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-16-2013, 04:52 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: new batteries installed but now doesn't run

You said you charged them, if you used the stock charger then your battery wires should be ok. You just have a problem in the activation circuit. I'm not sure what the red wire is for however. You need to chase that one and find where it goes. It may be a reed switch bypass that came undone.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
Sid Heath
Not Yet Wild

I replaced all the cables between the batteries with new ones but the problem still remains. I thought maybe there was something there that would reduce the voltage output so I would not be getting the 36 volts. I also spent time talking to a technician at a golf cart shop and he could not figure it out either. Could not figure out where the red wire goes to. Guess I will get a volt meter to check that I have 36 volts but I would be very surprised if I did not now after new batteries and cable and nuts. Hopefully, there is a genius on this site that can figure this out.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

You need a volt meter. Then you can start chasing circuits.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
pete959
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

sounds to me like it is ur reed wire it is red and it hooks to a micro switch on ur f and r
pete959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Since the reverse beeper is no longer working and the solenoid is no longer clicking, you are missing the battery pack voltage (B+) that goes to the microswitches on the F/R assembly.

There is a red jumper wire that connects the two microswitches together and on one of the two terminals that jumper wire is attracted to is another red wire that originally went to the smaller of the three wires coming out of the charger receptacle (Reed switch), but might have later been attached to anywhere B+ can be obtained 100% of the time.

Get B+ to the microswitches somehow and the cart ought to work.

Attached is a schematic of a series cart with the solenoid activation circuit highlighted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - Series with KSI traced.JPG (58.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #7
Sid Heath
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all the advice. I am embarrassed to say that I found the issue. When I put in the last battery, the black main wire got caught under the battery and I did not notice it. Interestingly, the schematics that I was able to get all showed only 2 wires off this battery so I wasn't looking for it. When someone said that I should trace the red wire to see where it sent, bingo, I saw the other cable hidden down under and behind the battery.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #8
mathew21
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Great update. A simple mistake but you probably know how your cart works a little better because of it.
mathew21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Sid, I hate it when that happens. trust me, we have all had our moments.

Welcome to the world of sparky carts

For what it's worth, if I have more than 1 wire coming to a terminal, I use a bread tie through the rings. Glad you got it fixed.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #10
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Heath View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I am embarrassed to say that I found the issue. When I put in the last battery, the black main wire got caught under the battery and I did not notice it. Interestingly, the schematics that I was able to get all showed only 2 wires off this battery so I wasn't looking for it. When someone said that I should trace the red wire to see where it sent, bingo, I saw the other cable hidden down under and behind the battery.
Don't feel bad, I have done the exact same thing! I figured it out one night when I had no lights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post

For what it's worth, if I have more than 1 wire coming to a terminal, I use a bread tie through the rings. Glad you got it fixed.
Great idea! I use those little carabiners for keys. Easy to put on and take off!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO