lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-02-2013, 08:40 AM   #1
Mike_R
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 8 v batteries in 6 v cart?

I am new to the forum and have enjoyed reading through and learning more about my cart. What a great community and resource!
I have an 80's era EZ Go with a six volt set up. I just rebuilt the battery tray as the old one rotted out. I was about to put my batteries back in when a neighbor offered me her batteries that are less than a year old on a cart she no longer uses and is being used for parts. The batteries are 8v and I have been searching the forum to see if I can safely use the 8v batteries in my stock 6v cart?

I appreciate any feed back.
Mike
Mike_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
eflyguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 8 v batteries in 6 v cart?

No, you would need a controller upgrade to handle the higher voltage - that's 48V vs. the 36V you have as standard.
..a
eflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
Mike_R
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

That's what I thought. Thanks eflyguy!
Mike_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If yours is a resistor cart, I believe you can do it! I have a friend who did it in his cart and it goes like a scalded dog! He drives flat out all the time on pavement so nothing overheats, but if you're going to use your cart at anything but full throttle, you will risk burning up the resistor coils! I would get the batteries anyway as you may use them or sell them!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
eflyguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

.. or get an upgraded controller so you can take advantage of the higher voltage!
..a
eflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
fireboat
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sounds like a great deal! This is exactly what I am looking to do with my 36v 1993 Marathon. All you need to do is upgrade the controller and preferably the battery cables too, and snag her 48v charger. Your motor will handle it fine. This upgrade will cost me hundreds of dollars but you are in a position to do it for almost free. Go for it!

There are a lot of threads on this that will guide you on exactly what you need or contact one of the sponsors.
fireboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, ez go electric
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO