lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
bash11
Not Yet Wild

Default Why are my batteries wet on top?

I bought a 2008 PDS about a month ago. Where needed I filled the battery cells to the proper level (about 1/4 inch over the plates, but still below the vent). I cleaned the battery tops with soda and water, then charged them with a stock charger. A few days later I checked the SOC and it indicated 100%. Today I noticed that some batteries are wet on top (few drops here and there). It is acid because it reacts with soda. The electrolyte level looks normal and I only charged them overnight till the charger turned off.

Is this normal?

Bash11
bash11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Why are my batteries wet on top?

It sometimes happens when you add water before charging. That's why prior to charging, you should make sure the plates are all covered with acid, then only add water after the charger shuts down. The reason for doing it this way is because the process of charging will usually cause the acid level in the batteries to increase. Hope this helps - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have the same problem with a set of Interstate batteries in one of our carts. I have determined that it is the seals on the caps leaking. I took every cap off, washed them really well (to make sure the vents are not clogged), and turned the seals over on the caps. This helped on some of the batteries, but a few still leak a little. I can find nowhere that has the little flat "o" ring seals! I know this is my problem because if I switch the caps, the same cap leaks on a different battery. Try switching your caps around and see if the same caps leak.
Being old fashioned, I liked the old style caps that screwed on! I never had one of them leak!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You should only fill batteries after they are fully charged. If they are way low you can partially fill them to cover the plates before charging but dont' fill them to the full level. The level will rise and the fluid will bubble during charging. It is normal for a very small amount to work it's way out after a bunch of charging. I clean my batteries every time I clean my cart.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

A high finishing charge voltage (well above 45v on a 36v cart) could be putting the batterys deep into gassing voltage territory, greatly increasing the bubbling in the battery. The bubbles shoot a tiny droplet of electrolyte straight up when they pop (kinda like the bubbles in carbonated drinks), building up on and in the vent caps, eventually escaping the cap and ending up on the tops of the batteries. Also, i agree with the above statement about the battery vent cap seals.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:55 PM   #6
bash11
Not Yet Wild

Thank you all for your replies. I will check my vent seals. The next time I charge them, I will monitor the finish voltage.

I have another question: How important is it to clean off the salt created by the reaction of the acid with the soda on the battery tops (when I neutralize the acid)? If I get too aggressive with the rinse water, could some of the rinse water find its way through the vent cap and into the battery cell? What is a good way to rinse the excess soda and salt off the batteries?

Bash11
bash11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:01 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bash11 View Post
..............I have another question: How important is it to clean off the salt created by the reaction of the acid with the soda on the battery tops (when I neutralize the acid)? If I get too aggressive with the rinse water, could some of the rinse water find its way through the vent cap and into the battery cell? What is a good way to rinse the excess soda and salt off the batteries?..............
Acid + Base = Salt
Sounds like you stayed awake in your high school chemistry classes.

The salt is conductive, the acid is conductive, the baking soda is conductive and tap water is conductive, so the only time the top of the battery isn't conductive is when it is clean and dry. A little conductive contamination on the battery tops is more of a cosmetic issue than an operational one, but a significant parasitic drain can occur if the build up gets too heavy.

Gassing always occurs when a Lead-Acid batter is charged and acid molecules cling to the gas molecules that escape through the vents, and being heavier than air, the acid molecules drop to the battery tops, so the battery tops need to be neutralized periodically.

Avoid getting the backing soda solution and the rinse water directly on the vented caps.
I use a pump bottle that squirts a stream rather than a spray and keep the nozzle low when going around the caps, then brush it around with small scrub brushes while adding more baking soda solution until it stops foaming.

For rinsing, I ether use gallon jugs of water or a garden hose without a nozzle and the spigot barely turned on (I have 85 PSI of water pressure and 3/4" ID piping to the hose spigots, so I have to tone it down a bit. ) I also use the brushes while rinsing.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The main reason we get so much gassing is that our chargers are designed to overcharge. This is necessary because we charge our battery packs in series. If the charger isn't designed to overcharge the pack will get imbalanced over time due to the variability of the battery capacity from cell to cell.
By the way this is a big problem with lithium packs because you can't overcharge them even a little or you destroy the cells.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #9
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I've found I get more gassing if I deep discharge the pack verses a light discharge.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:41 AM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I agree with V_A on the overcharging, and i do the same thing as JohnnieB when im cleaning batts. All i was saying is, the longer the batteries are charged "gassing" voltage range, the more mess we will have. And yes they all gas to a degree whenever charging or discharging.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO