lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2014, 05:46 PM   #11
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Friction Generator Dynamo on a golf cart

12v at 6w wouldn't even make a difference to a huge golf cart battery bank. You would be farther ahead to install a 220w solar panel on the roof, even then it wouldn't add much to your driving range.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-02-2014, 07:05 PM   #12
branson
Not here yet

E-Z-GO

this remindes me of the simpsons episode where bart has a paper route. he rides.his bike to work before light whe. he flips on the generator to power the light he can barley push the pedal down.
branson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:02 PM   #13
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Any generator has spinning resistance in the bearings, creating heat (energy lost), the windings get warm while generating power (energy lost). These inefficancies mean you will never get back out [B] all [B/] the energy spent spinning it. If you could have the generator only touch the wheel when braking was desired, that would be as close to "free lunch" as you are gonna get. Also, the motor/generator "perpetual motion machine" example above, yeah, i tried it when i was a kid tearing stuff up to make other stuff, it didnt work for crap.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:20 PM   #14
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Also, a generator/alternator will require more torque to turn as the load increases. If you want more output, it will require more input.

You can hear this on any gasoline, diesel, or natural gas generator. I built a 17 MW emergency generator facility, consisting of seven Caterpillar generators. They start up and sync to the emergency bus with no load, then the distribution breakers start closing and you can monitor fuel usage, and hear them as more load is added. These are constant speed, but take more energy in the form of fuel, in order to keep up with increasing loads.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:23 AM   #15
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

People this is crazy talk. The friction generators the OP is proposing are so small they would be unnoticeable to the golf cart. 6 watts each, just 6 watts! That isn't like pissing into the ocean, it's like pissing into outer space.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:34 AM   #16
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I was assuming he was just using that as an example. I was recently working as a consultant on a project that would use 30 KW permanent magnet 3 phase AC generators, similar to those used for wind power. I just assumed he'd consider using something larger than his example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisM View Post
why is it assumed that a friction generator dynamo uses more energy than the electricity it produces?
This is the question I was focusing on in general. Can't get something for nothing was my point. For folks not familiar with the concept, I was trying to put it in layman's terms and give examples.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:42 AM   #17
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

The size is irrelevant. The point is you cannot ever get even the same, much less more, energy out than you put in. Even at 6 watts, you are placing a load on the battery/controller/motor/tires that is greater than 6 watts. The 6 watts is not "free". That's the real point.

You could run a dedicated wire to a 12 volt USB phone charger and you are still using more power than if you go directly to the batteries.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:53 AM   #18
BorisM
Getting Wild

6W was just an example...
BorisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:23 AM   #19
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Hate to say it this way but if it was practical wouldn't somebody already be doing it?
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:28 AM   #20
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
hate to say it this way but if it was practical wouldn't somebody already be doing it?
bingo!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO